Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Outback Limited. Key FOB locks/unlocks the doors flawlessly on the first push of the button, but only if I'm INSIDE the car! When I exit the car I have to push the FOB button several times while walking around the car hoping the next push of the button will be the winner. I have three FOBs for the same car and all three act the same. I also replaced all three batteries with new Energizer batteries. Has anyone experienced this issue? Where is the receiver for the FOB signal? Maybe line-of-sight with the FOB and the receiver would help...

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
you could try the re-learn procedure but, I've had to replace 2 fobs and one had the very weak symtpom you mention, the other, I had to squeeze the body of the fob with one hand while pressing the button with the other.

If you have a friend, co-worker, or relative with the same gen car, you swap fobs, re-learn both and test.

My fear is, all 3 of yours need replacing.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Texan. Depressing reply, but makes sense. I suspect failure of 17 year old key fobs should be expected. I'll purchase a replacement and see if it acts any better. As a side note, I don't have much luck doing the key on/key off ten times thingy to program the fob. I guess practice makes perfect.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
627 Posts
Do me a favor. It's crazy, but I'm interested. Hold the fob to your chin and try it. I had a friend with a Toyota. She swore its the only way it would work. Batteries replaced etc. I thought she was crazy, but it only seemed to work like that. I'd be interested to see your results!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts