Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L H4 (EJ25)
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have some intermittent issue with my electrical system. Turning the ignition key does nothing; no peep, nothing turning over, just dead. Then after a while, the car starts up again, but the clock, stereo, and trip odometer are reset. That has happened about five times over the last six months.

I am not familiar with the electrical system of my 2000 OBW. I am thus inclined to bring it in, but I was wondering if any of what I described points to a specific, known problem, such as the starter. Why would that reset the car, though? Also, there is no trouble code. Loose wire? Bad ground? The battery is fully charged.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, MM

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
reseat the battery wires, and clean the contacts.

and the battery wires maybe corroded inside. (with a nice fresh quality roll of electrical tape in hand,...slice open the sheaths and look, then tape them up again.)

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reseat the battery wires, and clean the contacts.

and the battery wires maybe corroded inside. (with a nice fresh quality roll of electrical tape in hand,...slice open the sheaths and look, then tape them up again.)
Sounds very plausible. I'll let you know if that's it once my kids allow me a few minutes to check out the cable/connections...

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
Sounds very plausible. I'll let you know if that's it once my kids allow me a few minutes to check out the cable/connections...

Thanks!
I know there are other parents here that say. " hey sit and use your tablet thing in the back seat of the subaru while I work under the hood"

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,383 Posts
Yeah, sounds like it's got a loose connection related to a battery cable somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,592 Posts
Turning the ignition key does nothing; no peep, nothing turning over, just dead. Then after a while, the car starts up again, but the clock, stereo, and trip odometer are reset. That has happened about five times over the last six months.
If everything else is also dead when this occurs - no dash lights, no stereo, no HVAC, etc. - then focus on battery connection or cable problems as others here have suggested.

If everything else is live but you just can't get it to crank, then I would suspect starting solenoid or intermittent starter.

I think it's the former, since you mentioned the clock, stereo, and trip odometer resets happening. Which situation is it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If everything else is also dead when this occurs - no dash lights, no stereo, no HVAC, etc. - then focus on battery connection or cable problems as others here have suggested.

If everything else is live but you just can't get it to crank, then I would suspect starting solenoid or intermittent starter.

I think it's the former, since you mentioned the clock, stereo, and trip odometer resets happening. Which situation is it?
Yes, everything is dead, just like when disconnecting the battery, so a cable-connection issue seems plausible. There is nothing obvious upon first inspection, but I have not cut up the sheaths yet. I'll clean the posts and clamps and check the grounds again. It looks like it's a bit involved if it came to replacing the entire cable, so hopefully I won't have to do that.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,756 Posts
I had this issue worth my 2000 briefly.

I first thought it was the battery but after checking it turned out to be the terminal itself had pulled out of the cable.

5$ terminal and cutting the stripped area off the wire and it was as good as new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts