Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited, 2005 WRX Wagon
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '00 OBW Limited about a month ago. It's in good condition overall but has a few quirks. Mechanically, I've fixed just about everything, now it's on to the interior leaks I've been getting.

I'm pretty sure I have a clogged sunroof drain hose, in downpours the driver's side seat belt gets pretty wet. That I believe I can fix but there's another leak that has me stumped.

The driver's side door likes to leak tons. There appears to be water coming from the seam in the door card where the side of the dash meets it when it's closed. Water (large amounts of it) stream from that whole ~3 inch section of door above the speaker and onto the carpet in the pedalbox and driver's floorboard.

I've found no cracks in the window/door gasket on the door frame but there is a split on the top of the rubber material that goes around the window itself. That's the part that the rearview mirror is attached to. I'm not sure if that's the source of the water but that's the only observable unsealed gasket on that door. I suppose it's also possible the water is coming from the seam in the dashboard in which case the sunroof drain hose might be the culprit.

See the diagram below I made. It's not my actual car, just one I used to show where mine is having the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
My vote would be sunroof drains. . . one of the tubes runs down the A pillar. Easy enough to check.

Just about every Subaru I see has a cracked gusset rubber (the triangular seal the mirror mounts to), none of them leak. The rain gutters alongside the roofline do a pretty decent job of keeping water out.

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
bringing this back. I just bought an 02 LL bean and I am having the same issue. How easy are the sunroof drains to clean?? Also any other suggestions?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2001. I just shot some black gasket sealer into the door seal area near the mirror. The rubber seal had pulled away in a very small spot allowing water to drain through into the car. Took me about 2 minutes and probably used a healthy toothpaste brush load of sealer. It didn't take much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts