Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a 00' Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, and I noticed tonight the driver's side rear brake light lights no more. The night lights work on the entire rear, as does the turning signal (I think. I'll have to check in the morning to be 100%).

I'm wondering, could this just be a bulb that I need to replace? Or if it's electrical, how can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Before you even buy a new bulb, take the old one out, clean the socket (paper towel or fine grit sandpaper work well) and the base of the bulb, re-insert and test again. That's what fixed mine. Corrosion of the socket is common on these old cars. The bulb is inexpensive, but it the socket is not making a good connection a new bulb won't help and the old one might be fine.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Good idea - clean the socket first no matter what - even if replacing the bulb.

New bulb (sometimes a new part will temporarily fix corrossion since removal of the part might inadvertently clean the contacts and the new bulb will be corosion free, but the socket will still be corroded and cause issues later).

The electrical wiring that runs through the hatch can get broken wiring where it hinges, but that's unlikely here, you'd have multiple lights out I believe, not just one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts