Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I did a quick search and didn't really find what I was looking for.

My 01 outback 2.5 is new to me. Got it with 108k about a month ago. At 109k now. Previous owner had a flex pipe put in between the cat and the mid pipe.

Well that flex pipe broke on the way to work today. I was gunna do the entire exhaust at some point. But for the time being (since cat still works) anybody have any ideas on how to rig it back together?

I was thinking of cutting old flex out and seeing if I could just get a straight pipe to go over the cat and mid pipe and just use exhaust clamps on either side.

Also someone near me was recently selling an entire new exhaust. But it was for a sedan. Anyone know if all the sedan exhaust pieces swap over to the wagon?

I forgot to take a picture. If you want to see what I'm working with just let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
if you can find an old-school muffler shop, they could fab and weld-in a piece I bet.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you can find an old-school muffler shop, they could fab and weld-in a piece I bet.
Probably right. After work I'll see how much would be left after cutting broken piece out. I'll see if there's room for me to slid a straight pipe over or not.

Gunna be a long and loud 75 miles home. Lol

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,363 Posts
How 'bout a temporary fix with another piece of flex pipe? You should be able to find some at one of your local parts stores, and that will give you the time to look for a more permanent fix.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the temp fix I'm thinking is just gunna be straight pipe in place of what was there. I have to measure diameter and stuff when I get home so see what I need
How 'bout a temporary fix with another piece of flex pipe? You should be able to find some at one of your local parts stores, and that will give you the time to look for a more permanent fix.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
put there what was there for now which is flex pipe and then go to people who doing that kind of stuff and they will tell you what to do there . if rest of pipe is not rusty or anything why change then ? use flex or just weld then together with peace of pipe.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update.

The original flex that was welded in place was the woven metal type. By the time I got the car the woven stuff was gone and just the internal corrugated metal was left. This is what failed on me.

Because the flex was welded in place I wouldn't of had any room if I cut the whole thing out. So where a flex pipe gets bigger (near the woven part) I just cut those two lips off and slid a much stiffer, but still flexible, pipe over the already welded section. 2-1/8" pipe to be exact.

Here's what it looks like. Nice and quiet again.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,790 Posts
To answer your other question, I believe the sedan pipes will fit the wagon. You may have to modify or do away with the section behind the rear differential and custom one for the wagon. I don't recall the exact dimensions from the rear diff back or how the muffler hangs and I don't have H4 Gen 2s on the lot right now to compare. You can check part numbers with Subaru parts online.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer your other question, I believe the sedan pipes will fit the wagon. You may have to modify or do away with the section behind the rear differential and custom one for the wagon. I don't recall the exact dimensions from the rear diff back or how the muffler hangs and I don't have H4 Gen 2s on the lot right now to compare. You can check part numbers with Subaru parts online.
I did end up checking that out. They were aftermarket Walker part numbers but the mid pipe was the same. The mufflers were different from sedan to wagon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts