Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback LL Bean
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I've got an '01 LL Bean with approximately 155k on it. Yesterday, I removed my professionally retrofitted HIDs, and returned to my stock headlights.

Today I noticed the following issues:

*My ABS light illuminated right before the following things started happening. When I restarted the car, the ABS light went off.

*When I do not have my headlights on, the lights that illuminate my dash are on. When I brake, the lights on the dash dim significantly.

*When I switch to either side markers or headlights, I have no dash lights.

*When I click back to the headlights off position on the column, I hear the click that is normally heard when first pushing the brake before I start the car.

*Headlights are working, and do not seem to be dimming

*When I press lock on my car, the tail lights light up much slower than they normally do.

I replaced the battery one year and 10k ago, and the alternator was replaced about 2 years and 20k ago. I tried just disconnecting the battery, and unplugging/plugging in my OEM headlights without success. I have switched between headlights before without this issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
what do you get for DRL s (daytime running lights) when the car is idling head light switch off.?

what happens when you pull the hand brake to shut those DRLs off?

do you hear or feel anything buzzing in the under the hood fuse box? (where the relays are). those may buzz or make audible clicks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you get for DRL s (daytime running lights) when the car is idling head light switch off.?

do you hear or feel anything buzzing in the under the hood fuse box? (where the relays are). those may buzz or make audible clicks.
Eagleeye - I've got my DRLs disconnected (they've been that way for a couple years now.) I'll go check on the hand brake and fuse box right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So I went and investigated, and the ABS light is back. The hand brake doesn't do anything in terms of affecting the lights on the dash. Additionally, I did not hear or feel any buzzing from the under the hood fuse box. I put my ear right up to it, and didn't hear anything.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,194 Posts
So I went and investigated, and the ABS light is back. The hand brake doesn't do anything in terms of affecting the lights on the dash. Additionally, I did not hear or feel any buzzing from the under the hood fuse box. I put my ear right up to it, and didn't hear anything.
might be a bulb or a socket in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back to the car to try unplugging/plugging in the side markers (as I hadn't tried that.) That didn't make a difference, but this time I did notice a small buzzing sound coming from the rear of the car. Seems like you're right on with guessing it's either a bulb or a socket. I'll be pulling apart the lights back there to see if I can find anything.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And as I thought, you were right. There was a bulb in the rear garnish that wasn't in good shape. I put a new one in, and it solved the issue. Thank you so much! It's really appreciated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,194 Posts
And as I thought, you were right. There was a bulb in the rear garnish that wasn't in good shape. I put a new one in, and it solved the issue. Thank you so much! It's really appreciated.
its actually a pretty typical thread here. swapping bulbs on one end of the car bumps off a marginal bulb on the other end of the car.

(and in that respect it helps that I am not standing next to the car concentrating on the front,...and the ABS light coming on the dash really stinks of a bulb or a socket back there).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts