Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished installing my Subtle Solutions 1" spacers today. Looking good, can NOT wait to get this thing off road!

However, when the suspension is at full sag, the swaybar links cannot re connect to the LCAs. I've taken a picture to make it clearer:

(The bar is disconnected from both sides in these images)

I can't bend them to match the angle of the link-pocket on the LCA - they are simply maxed out, the pictures show them as far as they go. If I were to jack up the control arm to attach the link, I fear the link would crack once I let the jack go.... which is my main concern.

Are there extended links I can buy, or links that use spherical ends?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel the same way about keeping my cars stock, and I would have, however I never read anything about this becoming an issue. I did a bunch of research and hoped this very "Subtle" lift would not cause any issues, but sure enough...

Those kinds of links are exactly what I was thinking. Thank you!

Has anyone else run into this problem with the Subtle Solutions lift? I'm assuming there are at least a few users of this kit on the forum.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(Not) Solved: (Read my next post)

The issue was with my struts, not the lift kit. RockAuto shipped me the wrong struts, giving me an extreme lift in which I had no chance of hooking up the swaybar links.

Now I need to go through the fiasco of shipping them back.

End!

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Or just attach them while the car is loaded on the ground. Even with stock ride height the end links are a pain to do when the control arm is in lifted/unsprung position.

Free extra lift!? That sure isn't something to complain about in my opinion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually - turns out the struts ARE correct. I just cross referenced the part #s, and my Outback came with ONE Legacy strut installed on the front! :28: I already know of the mechanic that did this to the previous owner, and I know he's incompetent. No surprise here.

Regardless, The links still don't want to hook up. They'll be at an impossible angle (the same as the pictures above) if I ever jack the car up, and I fear they will break. Nothing the adjustable links shouldn't be able to fix if I feel like ponying up the cash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe my Outback is now sitting on one Outback spring, and one Legacy spring in the front, with two matched Outback struts. One link will hook up, while the outback side will not. I'm curious if the high side is an H6 spring, or something even taller. Very baffled.

Is there any way to identify Subaru springs based on their color code? There seem to be a few paint blotches on them.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
those links are designed to flex MUCH more than you are attempting i promise you. i have 2" of suspension lift and have ZERO sway/end link issues. there is no way your car rides taller than if it was lifted by the pinchweld at a dealer/shop for service. if your cvs arent popping out at full flex than your OE endlinks will fit.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,553 Posts
I think whiteline, maybe kartboy have adjustable links too.

I think most instructions are to swap those out with suspension loaded - like on ramps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those links are designed to flex MUCH more than you are attempting i promise you. i have 2" of suspension lift and have ZERO sway/end link issues. there is no way your car rides taller than if it was lifted by the pinchweld at a dealer/shop for service. if your cvs arent popping out at full flex than your OE endlinks will fit.
This gives me a little more confidence, thank you. I'll try to not worry about it and see how they are once I finally get them hooked up.

I honestly am having doubts about the springs installed... I have no idea if they are H6, Legacy, or 4cyl Outback. Adding to the problem is the fact that both sides have different heights in the front.

This car is WAY too high, even for having 1" spacers. It appears I have a 2-3" lift, when I only have a 1" spacer.

This is how the front sits. Something is not right. The tophats and spacers are all installed correctly with no play at the top.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
wait, stop.

the sway bar will rotate in its bushings if you loosen the mounting bolts. and as mentioned if you lower the car to the ground the control arm will rise as weight is applied. try it.

i have never heard of a sway bar end link being too short after a lift. but then i don't read and follow lift threads too much. but when o put outback struts and springs on my 97 GT the stock sway bar fit just fine.

loosen the brackets on the bushings and lower the car to line the end links up.

you should be good.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,553 Posts
with the weirdness you have going on in the front, I might consider just getting a pair of struts w/springs from a junkyard.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking the same thing.

Only one front strut has been replaced on this car in it's history, and it was a used spring/strut combination that cross references to a Legacy KYB strut. So that explains why that one side was lower.

The other, super high spring pictured on the 1st page SHOULD be an original Outback spring... but who knows at this point.

I'll probably go get two outback springs this weekend, there are plenty to choose from. There is also a Legacy sedan I can get the springs from too if I want to play around with ride heights.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is that pic after lowering and rolled out? Or just after dropping it off the jack. ALL vehicles easily sit an inch taller until you roll the car forward like 10-15' or so.

Also I always thought legacy and outback springs were the same it's just a strut difference? I know 1st gens are this way. I have heard lots of height to be gained from an H6 spring though.

And don't take this the wrong way but why did you unhook the end links to install struts/spacers to begin with? I've never found it necessary.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats after dropping it and driving around the block!

The springs are matched - they have one orange dot and one pink dot. Can anyone confirm that their stock H4 Outback has these same springs as well?

The front struts must be way too long, I may remove the spacers and see how it sits. Likely, it will still be lifted.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bad pic -

I guess the front finally settled a LOT, because after finishing the rear lift, it all looks perfect now. Oh, and I was able to hook the swaybar links up without a hitch.

Glad I don't have to do any more work on this thing for a looong time. Brakes, struts, and head gaskets are all done.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Now go make it filthy! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts