Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'00 & '01 OBW 2.5, AT, '95 jeep yj with galvanized frame, detroit locker, Super 35 axle kit, 4.88 gears, 2.5 5spd, 1964 Austin Healey Sprite basket case that will someday be subie powered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! So- upon repairing my deer damaged OB, I decided to replace the way leaky drivers side front cam seal. The culprit seems to be a broken tension spring around the back side of the seal. I bought a new seal from Napa, and there is an o-ring in the box, along with my seal. I didn't remove an o-ring from the car, nor do I see one inside the front camshaft. Is it for the rear? Its slightly larger than the seal. It is a sohc 2.5.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
2.2's use the same cam seals but have O-rings on the back of the heads where a plate seals off a hole where (I assume) the heads were line-bored for the cam journals.

2.5's don't have that as the manufacturing process is different.

My guess is whatever manufacturer packaged those seals throws the O-ring in so you've got it if you're working on a 2.2 and figures you're smart enough or cavalier enough to throw it away if you have a 2.5.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts