Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5l H4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got the lateral link bolt put no problem. My issue is cant get the axle out and I tried to slide hammer the hub out with zero progress over the last two days. Anyone have any tips here?

I've done a lot of scouring bit I cant seem to find anything as far as something I may have missed? That axle is stuck in there really tight! The hub too!!

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
792 Posts
I am guessing your axle splines have “rusted” onto the hub spline.

Have you tried some good penetrating oil like PB blaster or similar? WD40 is not up to the job for badly rusted items.

Another thing you can try is a 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and acetone as this reportedly has very good penetrating properties.

Once you have applied the penetrating fluid several times, over a period of several hours or maybe even days, you should try to free the axle by giving a few sharp blows to the end with a 4 pound hammer. Do this with caution as you do not want to damage the threaded part of the axle or the bearings at the diff end.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5l H4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am guessing your axle splines have “rusted” onto the hub spline.

Have you tried some good penetrating oil like PB blaster or similar? WD40 is not up to the job for badly rusted items.

Another thing you can try is a 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and acetone as this reportedly has very good penetrating properties.

Once you have applied the penetrating fluid several times, over a period of several hours or maybe even days, you should try to free the axle by giving a few sharp blows to the end with a 4 pound hammer. Do this with caution as you do not want to damage the threaded part of the axle or the bearings at the diff end.

Seagrass

Thanks Seagrass!

I've been hitting it with PB Blaster from the front and back. Makes me a little frustrated that the timing belt job will be easier than a damned wheel bearing!

I'm going to keep trying over the next few days. I returned the slide hammer but kept the axle puller attachment.

T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts