Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Am I correct to say that there are two fuel sending units on these vehicles. I have a P0463 code and my fuel gauge acts up sometimes. Is the main sender the one with the pump and is on the passenger side of car. Does anyone have a picture of the sender that is on the drivers side of car and is there a sensor located on that sending unit that can send the code. Can I access that sender on the drivers side from under the seat like I can on the passenger side. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Yes, two fuel level senders. One on each side, accessible from under the rear seat.

The two sensors are wired in series. The code is based on what is seen at the combination meter (instrument panel) and cannot distinguish if the cause is one or the other sensor, if a sensor at all.

Sometimes a bad connection at the sensor (on top of the fuel tank) is the cause. Other times, the sensor's wiper (the part that moves) is not making good contact. In the latter case, some have suggested using some fuel system cleaner, such as Techron, in the tank for a while -- if there's a dirty contact at the wiper, it might help clear it.

Do a Search here for the code. There's been discussions on this . . . .

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
The fuel tank is like a pair of saddle bags -- in simple terms, it's two tanks on either side of the rear propeller shaft connected by a "bridge across the top". When full, the fuel is high enough to be above the rims of either side (i.e., in the bridge), but as the level goes down, only the two separate sides have fuel in them. So we need fuel level sensors in both, as well as a system to transfer fuel from the left side to the other where the pump is located.

On the right side there's one assembly consisting of the fuel pump, fuel level sensor/sending unit and a siphon pump. On the left side there's a fuel pick-up that is connected to the siphon pump, and the second fuel level sensor/sending unit.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Can't from the DTC alone. It would require manual troubleshooting, such as checking the connections at the sensors, the continuity of the wiring harnesses, and the continuity through the sensors themselves to verify the wiper contacts.

The P0463 means that the voltage at the combination meter is "high", or a higher voltage than it should be. This is usually caused by an open circuit in the wiring to the sensors, but an open contact on a sensor wiper would be the same thing, and this is not uncommon.

Attached is a wiring diagram that should apply to the the fuel gauge circuit in your car, or be very similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 2.5 OBW and wife's 2011 2.5 Forester
69 Posts
Thanks!!

Thanks so much for your clear and accurate description of how to fix the problem. My fuel gauge has been acting up ever since I got the car a few months ago. Thanks to your post I was able to narrow the problem down to the right sending unit. I took the sending unit out and adjusted the wiper arm slightly so it made good contact. Now the fuel gauge is working fine.

Can't from the DTC alone. It would require manual troubleshooting, such as checking the connections at the sensors, the continuity of the wiring harnesses, and the continuity through the sensors themselves to verify the wiper contacts.

The P0463 means that the voltage at the combination meter is "high", or a higher voltage than it should be. This is usually caused by an open circuit in the wiring to the sensors, but an open contact on a sensor wiper would be the same thing, and this is not uncommon.

Attached is a wiring diagram that should apply to the the fuel gauge circuit in your car, or be very similar.
Carroll

1 - 7 of 7 Posts