Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Who makes a brace for this model?
2. Does anyone actually have one?
3. If yes on number 1 and 2, does it make a real difference for daily driving?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
I don't recall noticing the brace on my '03 so can't picture it- have a pic of one in place or where it goes?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,590 Posts
they're aftermarket. not sure if there's 'direct fit' for 2nd gen legacy. you might see what Welcome offers. I think Perrin, rallitek, , probably grimmspeed, cusco, turin in concepts, maybe kartboy...have braces in general. might have to modify? maybe find youtube install viseos and see what is closest to your configuration.

just not sure which precise models/years various makers offer

what are you trying to accomplish with your brakes?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I don't recall noticing the brace on my '03 so can't picture it- have a pic of one in place or where it goes?
I think he means an aftermarket brace to stiffen it up.

Yes - some people say it's the best improvement you can make for brake pedal feel.

Be sure to change your fluid and properly clean/regrease/replace slides so you're starting with a good base.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Might have to fabricate one yourself. There are so few 6-cylinder BE/BH cars I would be surprised if anybody manufactured one to fit it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car is new to me, and I haven't done the troubleshooting yet, but the brakes are not super impressive. I'm looking at all options for the go forward plan (brace, hoses, flush, pins, pad/rotor, etc). Hoping that someone had firsthand brace experience, but my research is not promising for a gen 2 car. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Dave

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
My '03 ll bean brakes never felt all that good. Took a lot more force than other subarus I've driven.
never tried to diagnose if it was the booster or the master cylinder.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,263 Posts
Proper rotors and pads are key.

I have one car (2006) with aftermarket pads, rotors, stainless lines, performance brake fluid and a GrimmSpeed MCB. That car can light up the ABS at any time. The MCB is about a 1/3 of those gains.

My 2005 is stock, brake wise. When I got it the brakes felt terrible. I swapped my oem rotors and the high quality pads which I stripped off the 2006. The 2005 stops just fine, it can light up the ABS at any time as well. I just have to push harder. I feel no need to upgrade anything expect to stainless lines if I had a spare $150. I would like the MCB, but I can live without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts