Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to posting so I hope I'm in the right place.

2001 Outback 2.5 Automatic - Cranks but won't start. Replaced the fuel pump (ran it to a bottle & it was moving fuel), checked the fuel filter (no blockage), poured fuel into the intake & it started & ran until it burned it all up. It seems that the fuel is being cycled back into the tank as barely any fuel makes it to the filter under the hood.

Didn't take it offroading & bash up the bottom of the vehicle... Literally drove to the store, drove home & the next morning the fun began.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as the next step is towing her to the shop ($$$).

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
nice doggie,

ideas:

quality of fuel vs. water or resins/ sand?

resins/ sand in the fuel line.?

electrical connection to the fuel pump. (like not getting enough power).

clogged fuel filter under the hood.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hose I had running off the pump was rather large so not much pressure but it appeared to me that is was sufficient (although that has been in the back of my mind). It filled up half of a soup can quickly. It was literally dribbling out of the hose that goes to the fuel filter (pulled off before the filter) after I hooked the hose back to the pump. Made sure it was primed as well by cycling it on & off.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2001 Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wondered about the fuel quality as well but it ran fine from full tank to 2/3 of a tank & I doubt that's it. Thanks though!

(I told the dog about the compliment & she gave a tail wag).

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
Replaced the fuel pump . . . It seems that the fuel is being cycled back into the tank as barely any fuel makes it to the filter under the hood.
Did you replace the complete fuel pump assembly or only the motor?

There's a common issue with that generation's fuel pump assembly -- an o-ring and cap on the assembly that fail. Pump motor works, ut pressure in the fuel supply line at the filter is weak because fuel is being dumped back into the tank through the defective o-ring and cap before it leaves the fuel pump assembly. See: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Did you replace the complete fuel pump assembly or only the motor?

There's a common issue with that generation's fuel pump assembly -- an o-ring and cap on the assembly that fail. Pump motor works, ut pressure in the fuel supply line at the filter is weak because fuel is being dumped back into the tank through the defective o-ring and cap before it leaves the fuel pump assembly. See: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html
This

Had this problem on my buddies 2000 Outback. The pump, pumps fuel into this canister on the pump assembly which has a metal cap twisted onto the plastic pump assembly.
The metal cap tab cracked, which wouldn't allow the o-ring to seal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Let's back up a bit.

You are referring to the pump on the right side of the car?
What happened that you replaced the fuel pump?
Dito on the motor replacement or the whole assembly?

The fuel pump moves fuel to the engine under pressure and what is not used by the injection system then goes back to the fuel tank. It cannot return to the tank until it makes a route to the engine first. Unless there is a leak between the pump and engine, you should have the same flow at the engine that you have at the pump unless the pump is unable to hold pressure to push the fuel that far. Generally the cap seal leaking and the fuel gets dumped back in the tank at the fuel pump assembly causing low/no flow to the engine. The pumps don't fail much, the seal does until you replace it with a better seal or the cap/seal from a Gen 3.

If you replaced just the pump, did you get your pump output connected proper?

I would pull the assembly back out, check the cap and seal. You may want to have a 973 Viton seal on hand, or maybe the fuel filter assembly for a 2005 up Legacy/Outback in case the cap is cracked. If you are not smelling fuel when you try to start it, then I doubt its leaking external of the tank.

Here's a pic of the Nippon filter/cap showing the part number: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/129737-fuel-filter-missing.html#post1398041

If you need the cap, just toss the filter that's in the box. The cap will go on really tight.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all! (I only replaced the pump, not the assembly as they wanted $500.00 at the local O'Reilly's)
When I originally pulled the assembly out (under the back seat) I did notice that the canister was slightly crooked. I attempted to get it back on correctly but was scared by how brittle the plastic looked. I'm pretty sure you guys nailed it.

I'm off to hunt for parts this weekend & will post the outcome.

Thanks again!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Don't shortcut. Use either option posted so you won't have to go in again. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on the cap when you go on with it. That plastic is tougher than you think.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I know it's expensive but I did the whole assembly in my 01 outback a few weeks ago. Check out the new assembly. The little "cap" that gets messed up is now held in with 3 screws on my new assembly. No more twist lock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Outback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again ALL!

I went the rout of ordering the parts online (Subaru outfit out of Connecticut). O ring & 2004 fuel filter & was able to get it back together & it fired right up.

& right on time.......I have a dead spot on my starter motor! Always a fun time.

Peace!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts