Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Have had stiff and jerky steering on the '01 outback for 5,000 miles or so. P/S Fluids look good, tubes look good on it. No bubbles on the fluid. It is stiff especially when you hit the 10 and 2 o'clock marks, and particularly when it is cold. It just hasn't steered well and jerks. The car doesn't pull or anything on the road just sometimes "misses" on the steering. I intend to take the car in I just want to know what I'm getting into or some possible fixes.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Replacing the fluid with synthetic ATF (your car uses ATF not PSF for the pump), couldn't hurt. Check the belt to make sure it is not slipping. A slipping or loose belt can cause a stiff feeling in the wheel. If you have the 2.5 H4 it is also the belt for your alternator and if it is getting old, you could have trouble with your electrical system as well. If you replace and or tighten the belt be careful that the top of the belt does not rub on the adjuster lock nut.

Rare that you need to replace the pump. If you decide to go that route, look for a used one with lower mileage or that has been rebuilt.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
seems like the Cardan/u-joint on the column to the rack is binding. One of the gurus in the past suggested hitting it with a little PB Blaster and if the problem gets better, might be time for a new joint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts