Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember my post from late December when my car developed an odd squeal and then shut down. My mechanic said the car jumped time, but couldn't figure out why. The car was running fine for two months, up until yesterday.

Yesterday, I was driving on the highway around 75-80 MPH when a squeal started coming from under the hood. I got off the highway and the squeal subsided, but when I came up to a traffic light and stopped (after driving highway speeds), there was a rattle and a light squeal from under the hood. When I turned off the car last night, there was a brief squeal as the car shut off. When I turned on the car this morning, there was a brief squeal as the engine was turning over - once I stopped turning the key, the squeal stopped.

I took the car to a Pep Boys this morning and the first diagnosed an oil change was needed and they tightened the belts (not timing though). They said that fixed it and I was on my way.

However, after driving back on the highway for another 40 miles or so, and exiting, the sounds started up again at a stop. I took it to another Pep Boys (it seems like they are the only mechanics open on Sundays) and they recommended changing all belts and doing a timing belt change (and all the related work).

Any ideas of what the sounds/things could be? I was able to get two videos that accurately show the sounds that I am getting - those are
and

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just heard back from my mechanic - it sounds like this was the end for my Subaru. It's an engine noise that will be a few hundred to diagnose and by that point, he's expecting it to not be a cheap fix. It lasted me a good 291,000 miles - but perhaps I'll be getting a new Subaru in the next few days.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Just heard back from my mechanic - it sounds like this was the end for my Subaru. It's an engine noise that will be a few hundred to diagnose and by that point, he's expecting it to not be a cheap fix. It lasted me a good 291,000 miles - but perhaps I'll be getting a new Subaru in the next few days.
how many miles and years on the timing belt kit?

if its got no rust, and you like it, and its got lots of great parts on it, maybe consider a new long block.
(plenty to be had out of rust buckets and wrecks).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The timing belt has around 100,000 miles on it - and the car itself is around 291,000. At this point, each fix is around $1000 when I have to get it done, so I'm thinking I'll just go new and put the same cost into yearly payments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts