Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got rear ended and I am trying to replace my trunk and pssgr. quarter panel myself but I havent been able to find any walkthroughs on how to do it. I am trying to save money as the person that hit me took off and I dont want to spend extra money for a guy replacing everything. Just rebuild the motor in November so I am PISSED this has happened.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless you can use a welder, you are not going to replace that 1/4 panel. The 1/4 panel is one of the toughest panels to replace. Notice the crinkle above the wheel well? Most likely, you have some frame damage there underneath. I would not attempt to replace a quarter panel and I've been working on cars for close to 50 years.

I'd try pulling it out rather than replacing it. You might have to have the frame straightened, too.

Good luck and it is NOT going to be cheap or easy. If you have collision and a fairly low deductible, you may want to consider that.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
What OldSVTGuy said.

I expect a bend in the unibody looking at that picture. This isn't a simple "replace the panels" repair.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
What hit you? Very little if any contact to your bumper and plenty to the hatch, so I'm gonna guess a truck, maybe a lifted one. Ought to have some damage to them too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah just realized that to. Anyone have a ballpark price for me?

Well The cops said a guard rail did that to me...but that doesn't look like a guard rail...

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
mylucksucks,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but this is not a DIYer repair. Your OBW is an 04 or older, and is just not financially a prospect for repairing. You'll have more money into the repair than the car is worth.

The only feasible way to DIY is if you personally own the body shop and are investing just your time, and you already have a parts car for the tailgate, glass, tail lights, bumper cover, window trim pieces, etc. The paint is costly, because the pearlized white is a tricoat, and needs an expert painter's touch. I had an 04 in white, and it was a bit** to get a good colour match, because of the pearl over the base coat.

I think that you'll find that your best bet, is to buy another car of the same generation that has a bad motor, and swap your motor over. In my mind that would make more sense. Good Luck! We'll all be where you are at one time or another in our driving careers. You have our sympathy.

·
Registered
2002 L.L. Bean Outback H6 3.0
76 Posts
Get a couple of estimates to get real numbers to work with. Look for a place that does rebuildables, used gate and r/r quarter clip will be a lot cheaper than new parts.
Your insurance does not cover uninsured motorists?

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
You would be better off to find one with a bad motor and swap yours in. Barring that, Find someone that youy can barter some work from. I have an uncle that does a lot of trading/bartering. His shop always has stuff in it. He is up around the panhandle area (noticed the Idaho tag). Someone like that might be able to help you find a car for the motor swap. Even if you bought one with a wrecked frontend, it would be an easier repair.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We have to assume that you are referring to the tailgate, not the trunk.

Open the tailgate and pull the two side moulding pieces straight out. They have two clips each, one at the top and one at the bottom. Pull the top center piece straight down.

Along the bottom of the tailgate may be (been awhile since I had my 04 OBW, Two others since then) several pull plugs. Remove them as well as the two screws inside the pull down handle recess. They are under a small cover that pops out with a screw driver. Then pull the entire back panel from the tailgate.

Unclip the various wiring harness connectors to the lock assembly, slide the cable release from same.

All that remains is to pop the wiring harness mounting clips out of their holes in the metal structure, and pull the wiring out through the rubber gaiters at the top of the tailgate.

Take lots of digital pictures as you go along, because you'll have a lot of memory lapses as to what goes where and how, by the time you get everything repaired and back together again. Good Luck!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Craigslist?

·
Registered
724 Posts
This looks like a very good candidate for just a lower side skirt and door swap from your car. Whether it needs the side bottom door frame pulled a bit can't be seen without opening the door, but should be an easy fix if required.

The price is right, and you should be able to be back on the road with a minimum of pocket book damage. When you get the parts swapped over, you may find that you can delay the motor swap over. Of course, that'll depend on how well the new acquisition drives.

Good Luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts