Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question #1: The alternator I purchased from Autozone just went bad after about 8 months so they replaced it with the same model. Unfortunately, I am getting pretty good at alternator replacements these days but I am stumped now.

The alternator is squealing like a goosed pig but when I go to adjust and tighten the belt, the bolt is getting too close to the belt. The only thing I did different this time was a removed the other belt assembly and removed the bottom wheel because I saw in this forum that sometimes the bearings go out in those but it was fine. Would the adjustment on the belt play into why I cannot really tighten the other belt without the belt rubbing on the belt?

Question #2: I am up to 225K miles and found a local shop that will do my rebuild (yes, the head gaskets that I have been ignoring for the past 4 years) for about $1800 which is alot less than other shops have quoted. But, they have a good reputation and they are 100% independent so I am guessing their hourly is lower. Or, should I be concerned that they are low balling me and then once they get my car up on the rack, the price goes up. Again, they have a good reputation but I don't trust anyone here in Vegas.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
$1800 is a fair price for H4 head gaskets with all the other seals on a 2002 car.

hopefully with machined heads, and subaru OEM turbo head gaskets. (bare MLS).

______

belts stretch,...new belts start tight and after a few days stretch a bit and need more minor adjustment.

the subaru system of pulleys and adjustments kind of sucks on these vs. say a 2002 H6 car with its smarter tensioner system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$1800 is a fair price for H4 head gaskets with all the other seals on a 2002 car.

hopefully with machined heads, and subaru OEM turbo head gaskets. (bare MLS).

______

belts stretch,...new belts start tight and after a few days stretch a bit and need more minor adjustment.

the subaru system of pulleys and adjustments kind of sucks on these vs. say a 2002 H6 car with its smarter tensioner system.
Ok, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are way underpaid! I actually went to the Subaru dealer for the alternator belt.... $22 and it was made by Mitsubishi. LOL Now, it is perfect. Somehow I would have never thought of the belt. Thanks again.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
You might want to source a used Subaru alternator as a back up. Aftermarkets routinely fail over time, they are not robust long term solutions I would want in a car I'm about to do a headgasket job on.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or ebay and see if you can get a low mileage verified OEM alternator. far more reliable and not expensive.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
For the headgasket I'd just make sure they're resurfacing the heads and using Subaru gaskets.

And verify brand of other components as well.

All headgasket jobs are not equal. Are they just gasket slapping? Replacing other stuff - what and with what brand?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
You guys are way underpaid! I actually went to the Subaru dealer for the alternator belt.... $22 and it was made by Mitsubishi. LOL Now, it is perfect. Somehow I would have never thought of the belt. Thanks again.
the original alternator in that car probably says "Mitsubishi usa" on it.

Mitsubishi corp has a huge supplier under its umbrella. (just when you put all the parts together to make Mitsubishi or a dodge do you get a turd).

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
Those bolts are notorious for eating belts. I had mine tightened so that the flat side of the bolt was parallel to the belt. If you decide to replace the belt, use the OEM size and go ahead and do the other one because they need to be exactly the same length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts