Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Mt 2.5 with a blown engine. I found an entire running 2002 MT 2.5 donor car. What is different about the engines? What is involved and how hard to make it work?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
nothing,

2002 and the 2000 are the same Ej251,...no changes,..

.same EJ252, maybe with 2 more years of personnel training at the engine plant.

Swap away, new timing belt kit, new plugs, going on I hope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 02 Mt fell through. More research suggested an engine from an auto would work with very minor modifications. I found one of those that also fell through. Now looking into JDM. Will this work in my 00 Manual transmission?

(won't let me post link)

JDM 00-05 Subaru EJ25 2.5L SOHC Engine EJ253 Impreza Legacy Forester Baja Motor

(from ebay)

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
The 02 Mt fell through. More research suggested an engine from an auto would work with very minor modifications. I found one of those that also fell through. Now looking into JDM. Will this work in my 00 Manual transmission?

(won't let me post link)

JDM 00-05 Subaru EJ25 2.5L SOHC Engine EJ253 Impreza Legacy Forester Baja Motor

(from ebay)
That's an EJ253 and yours is an EJ251 I seem to recall the difference was MAP vs MAF. If you use your Intake Manifold, wiring harness and swap the Driver's side Cam gear and crank gear it should work. You may also want to use your Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors as well.

Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge of this may chime in later.

Probably worth doing a full timing belt job (belt, tensioner, idlers, cogged gear) while you are there.

Main difference between Auto/Manual is that often the Manual transmission cars don't have an EGR valve. You can pull that off the donor engine and plug the hole in the head with an oil plug and gasket (same one as in the oil pan)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
no reason to buy JDM from a later design, when plenty of USDM EJ251 and EJ252 cars are rusting to the point they go in the scrapper.

try local craigslist for a whole rust bucket or none-front end smash (maybe in auto parts or whole cars/ trucks) haul the whole wreck too you, get all the parts you want and then scrap the rest.

if its a 2003-2004 you just need to close off the EGR valve with a small plate.

if its a 2000-2004 from a automatic just swap pulleys and idlers. (different # of ribs/teeth), and the map vs. maf thing.

I was just reading recently there are some minor parts changes in forester engines of that period. ...and I would personally skip those vs all the outbacks and legacys poking around. (foresters are like impreza,...with a few legacy parts in them).

and no DOHC 2.5 anything, = those are old turd 96-99 and don't belong swapped forward, (worst engine the company ever made).

______

you can also try local pick and pulls. = $150-$200, 1/3 to half the offerings in used may have had their head gaskets changed already. (look for rust and smashes away from the engine bay too).

or straight up paid junk yards/ used parts warehouses like
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or LKQ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info, Thank you.

Not finding much for EJ251/252 locally and was considering a $3k rebuilt 252 (which is what mine is)

I can't seem to find any ej251/252 JDM motors. Is there any? Anyone know a source?

That's an EJ253 and yours is an EJ251 I seem to recall the difference was MAP vs MAF. If you use your Intake Manifold, wiring harness and swap the Driver's side Cam gear and crank gear it should work. You may also want to use your Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors as well.

This doesn't look too bad. $1600 for a 60k mile engine. Like you said, Hopefully more gurus can verify that there is nothing too tricky here.

It would be a 253 (automatic?) going into a 00 Outback with a Manual Transmission.

Thank you for the help/advice.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,961 Posts
I think if doing an auto-manual engine swap, there is a crank or timing pickup and pulley(s) that have to be swapped over. Or was that across a gap of a few years?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
EJ253 = the 2005-2012 subaru 2.5 SOHC engine. 2005-2009 years still having single layer head gasket problems.
and some inter-generational swap projects don't turn out,...or they are plagued with check engine codes.

this is a thread about working with a JDM EJ251,...but the guy was in greater LA where few if any subarus exist in parts yards
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ngine-swap-us-jdm-ej251-diy-head-gaskets.html

what happened to yours anyway?

I was looking around the twin cities craigslist this morning and I found a couple part outs.
(none of them nice enough to list auto or manual though).

I put a post on this thread, (zedhead is knowledgeable on engines big and small,...not that far away for something that was a good runner, )
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/439826-lost-one-fleet-added-another.html

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
I think if doing an auto-manual engine swap, there is a crank or timing pickup and pulley(s) that have to be swapped over. Or was that across a gap of a few years?
from what I read even though subaru discontiued using the # 252 after 2002,
those parts remain different between the auto and the manual EJ251. of 2003-2004.

that EJ251 engine persisted in the last 2 years of Baja,
and I think in aussie / kiwi markets until 2009, ...maybe elsewhere. (I remember one guy here with a electrical problem laden 2007 era aussie / kiwi car with one in it,...kind of odd to see that old type airbox with in a BP body,...and he said it was the original engine).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eagleeye, thanks for all the help.

Anyone, I'm still unclear if there are any EJ251 JDM motors out there to be had. all the ones I have found are listed as generic ej25 or (if more specific) ej253.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
Eagleeye, thanks for all the help.

Anyone, I'm still unclear if there are any EJ251 JDM motors out there to be had. all the ones I have found are listed as generic ej25 or (if more specific) ej253.

why do you want a JDM. the sales places are lazy about typing information,

...and they may not know a subaru engine from honda engine, toaster,...and they all need a head gasket job.

I went to a pick and pull a few months back in PA,....they had like 20 2000-2004 H4 outbacks.,....all sitting there for 3 months each and then into the scrapper they go. I would think MN has big parts yards with plenty of subarus,...I mean its not Mississippi

If I walked up and down looking for the little tabs sticking out where the intakes meet the block,...and or newer head gaskets I bet I could have found 10 that had head gasket work, and a couple that were there from a wreck out of those. (= a good runner).

Paid junk yards by you: on car-part.com

this is just one with a listed quote, plenty more that want you to call them though. and they ship.

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy
TESTED GOOD/ GS-Needs Oil Pan-Wire Harness Cut
162,455 miles
A grade
16K0646 stock #
$595
Crosstown Auto, Inc. USA-MN(St.-Paul) Request_Quote 1-800-701-1102

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"why do you want a JDM."

I like the lower miles.

The car-part.com one is on my list with several others.
The missing oil pan makes me nervous.
some say "ran good", some say "tested" Is "tested" only a compression check?

Still looking (craigslist) for a whole car, anything that peaks my interest gets snapped up quickly.

local u-pulls list extremely few, and car-part.com (generally) seems too expensive for the mileage compared to JDM.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
when the cars are banging around in the yard sometimes the pans get bent. I have been in a few junk and pick and pulls that the cars are flat on the ground,...I would think the engine is still good on top of a bent pan.

if they sit there long enough, maybe a rusted pan.

that or the car went off road in its last adventure. (so despite having a great rad,....a nice big ding in the pan).

good news: you have a pan.

____

and finding the right engine could take a few weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts