Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed out the p/s pump(a1 Cardone reman) and didn't get to flushing all the fluid, works perfectly. Decided to flush all the fluid (Valvoline Max life ATF), but broke the hoses (all the hoses seem to have dry rotted on this car) going to the reservoir and replaced them. What I am now having an issue with is that the power steering doesn't feel like it is working. It will work and then not, wait a little bit and then I have pressure again. Bad pump or something else?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
301 Posts
You're going to want to bleed air from the system. Jack up car, lock-to-lcok turns about 30-40 times to push out air. Keep eye on level as air is bled out and add fluid as needed. Turn on car and lock-to-lock 3-4 times. Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moved to gen2 section, see the sticky threads, a couple on power steering pumps and groaning.
(sometimes a new / reman pump gives no fix).

Gen 2: 2000-2004 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

edit: like this one
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...groan-whine-getting-worse-power-steering.html
Car doesn't groan at all. Just has intermittent power assist, but I could replace that bypass spring.
You're going to want to bleed air from the system. Jack up car, lock-to-lcok turns about 30-40 times to push out air. Keep eye on level as air is bled out and add fluid as needed. Turn on car and lock-to-lock 3-4 times. Repeat as needed.
This has already been done, but I can do it again. And wouldn't air in the system show up as tiny bubbles in the reservoir and the typical groan, which I am not getting either.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
301 Posts
Hmm that's pretty strange. Is it happening in same spots or does it change?

I'd try inspecting and tightening the accessory belt, it could be slipping. Is there any chirping? What about when you turn the car to lock while running?

Is the by-pass is 'sticking' it could cause intermittent power I suppose... If it's not too far out may be worth exchanging (or returning and getting a used OEM). Reman PS pumps get bad rap around here, I suppose it isn't for no reason at all. Luckily pump swap isn't too bad of a job (easier than the rack, in anycase).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Subarus bleed really easy, but yeah make sure it's bled. Re-read instructions on the installation card/paper just to make sure.

aftermarket pumps and electrical components can suck and cause issues like this. i'm not saying that's it but no one that's been around a handful of aftermarket P/S, alternators, starters would be surprised to see this being a poor pump.

my time isn't worth those list of aftermarket parts, that have too high of a rate of issues, i'd install a working OEM unit first, it would be more likely to last the life of the vehicle than an aftermarket. if it ends up being the pump i'd just get your money back and buy a used one.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,301 Posts
I've learned from two subies, if you think you're done bleeding the steering, you're probably not ;p

BUT, that said, if your hoses are all junk, then its possible your rack is junk on the inside too...

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I let the car sit for a couple of days and now it has power steering again. Either air worked its way out or the bypass valve got stuck and unstuck itself after letting it sit (or at least I assume that would be the problem).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts