Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm looking to purchase my first Subaru and have my eye on a 02 Outback with 65,000 miles.

I've done a little research and it looks like it is due for a timing belt replacement (past 105 months), and therefore the water pump as well. My question is what other parts/hoses, seals, etc. should I also consider replacing if I purchase this vehicle?

I'm not too mechanically inclined, but it seems additionally rubber parts should also be replaced considering the age of the vehicle. The good news however is that it has new tires on it. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on purchasing an older vehicle with lower miles? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
A good idea to inspect the hoses, belts, bushings, boots and other soft parts. Maybe something will be ready. Not worth replacing any other than timing belt over simple age- inspect first, then decide. You'll want to pick you battles.

Don't forget to change brake fluid and inspect the brake hoses.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have an o2 also. Since you don't know the history, change the brake fluid, transmission fluid, and front and rear differentials fluid. You need to change the transmission fluid especially because you want to avoid torque bind. I didn't change mine until 90K, and the fluid was in bad condition.

On timing belt, you have an interference engine. You can't take any chances. So in addition to the belt and water pump, change all idlers and the tensioner. You should then be good for 100K miles, except for possible head gasket failure.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
new 02 OB purchase

I have an o2 also. Since you don't know the history, change the brake fluid, transmission fluid, and front and rear differentials fluid. You need to change the transmission fluid especially because you want to avoid torque bind. I didn't change mine until 90K, and the fluid was in bad condition.

On timing belt, you have an interference engine. You can't take any chances. So in addition to the belt and water pump, change all idlers and the tensioner. You should then be good for 100K miles, except for possible head gasket failure.
I have a 02 OBW also. I borrowed the car from a friend and liked it so much I ended up buying it. First thing to go was passenger side radiator hose. Then soon after it was the driver's side. Changing anything rubber or plastic is a necessity I realized. Careful though, there is a small hose on the bottom of the engine you will have to remove your AC compressor to get to. Great advice from the other members too. I am 45 yrs old now and will not buy anything but a Subie in the future (that's if my H6 OBW outlives me, and I think that entirely possible!) Buy the car, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I replaced all the rubber coolant hoses for the **** of it. They are not very much and it made me feel better considering their age and mileage. There is the upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump bypass, both heater core hoses, and two throttle body hoses.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner - ebay kits are the best way to go. very expensive to buy those piecemeal from Subaru.

hoses are a toss up at that age - they're usually good and rarely have issues. but of course replacement isn't a bad thing. and i've seen them at that age with rusty clamps and aged looking radiator hoses. the two of mine (02 and 03) I have only replaced one hose - for the oil cooler, it had a very slow drip. radiator hoses and clamps all look good, one is 201,000 miles other is 165,000.

they're just hoses though, easy and inexpensive - so if you got the time, definitely a nice thing to have new in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

This is exactly the type of input I was looking for by joining this forum. Thanks for all the excellent advice. I'll hopefully be checking out the outback tomorrow, and I'll be sure to mention the suggestions listed here to my mechanic when I take it to him for inspection before purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
Quiner
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing