Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is kind of weird and I wasn't sure if anyone had run into this or not.

I was on the highway the other day doing about 65 and I hear a strange whistle. Nothing steady, but it was pretty loud. I turned off the music to see if it was that and it wasn't. I turned the wipers on, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I didn't get a chance to open the windows to see if that was the cause, because it was cold and I really like my wife. :eek:

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
Probably the rubber gussets where the side view mirrors mount. Mine whistle like all **** after a while if I don't do the pinch treatment.

Pinch treatment (as outlined earlier on this site by many others): roll down window, squeeze both sides of the gusset together for 30-45 seconds, roll window back up. Fixes mine for a few weeks, then they start howling again.

Replacement gussets are available (don't have the part number handy ATM), but they're around $80 per side.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
1) Lower the front windows the whole way.
2) Remove the tweeter cover by popping it off (if you have these - not exactly necessary, but helpful)
3*) Get your finger muscles ready: squeeze the black rubber together along the channel the windows slides through behind the mirror as tight as you can.
* Optional: use a cloth and a pair of pliers to squeeze them.
4) NEVER, EVER push on the windows to close the front doors. :)

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Probably the rubber gussets where the side view mirrors mount. Mine whistle like all **** after a while if I don't do the pinch treatment.

Pinch treatment (as outlined earlier on this site by many others): roll down window, squeeze both sides of the gusset together for 30-45 seconds, roll window back up. Fixes mine for a few weeks, then they start howling again.

Replacement gussets are available (don't have the part number handy ATM), but they're around $80 per side.
Are you pushing on the windows to close the doors? Mine are still perfectly quiet since October and about 7,000 miles. I never push on the windows, since that spreads the gusset.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will try that after work today.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
If its really loud could be the rubber gasket that goes around the windshield. As it gets older if there is a spot under the edge of the gasket where not enough sealer was put in place the gasket will flap / vibrate against the car making one **** of a racket.

Easy check is to use blue painters tape and put a few strips of it so it covers some of the rubber gasket and sticks to the car. With a couple of tries moving the tape around you can usually find the small spot where the gasket is flapping in the wind per say.

Local auto parts store sell tubes of gasket sealer - get some and shoot some behind the rubber gasket in the area where you have found it flapping and making a racket. You can lift the edge of the gasket with a finger and see the gap under it where the window sealer holds the glass in place this is where you shoot a little sealer in. You aren't really gluing the gasket your just back filling under it which will stop the vibrating in the wind effect.

My 2001 was so loud I pulled off the highway thinking I was dragging something under the car. Then I realized it was speed / wind sensitive. Local windshield shop told me to use some tape to find the spot then swing by and they would shoot some spooge under the gasket. They also told me if it ever did it again I could simply shoot some gasket sealer under it from the local auto shop. Avoid home goods silicone it contains acidic properties that eat your cars finish and causes rust. They were very specific about that and showed me a few pictures of cars that were brought in with the windshields nearly rusted out of the car because the owner sealed around the windshield with silicone from Home Depot.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,860 Posts
Many RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicon sealers release acetic acid during the curing process. Interestingly enough, according to GE the reaction with galvanized steel is worse than with plain steel, so trapping the acid under the weatherstripping against metal specifically treated to resist a salt environment becomes the worst of all possible worlds.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I used GE silicone II to re-install some of the plastic moldings on the side of my Outback. I've used it before on the reseal my fathers old '89 Taurus windsheild without any problems. I emailed GE yesterday about the silicone, after reading about the possibility of it containing acids, and apparently there are none.

Laszlo,

Thsi Silicone II is approved for use on most all metal and plastics so you should be just fine in your application. The Silicone II does not contain any acids, so there should be no concern for degradation.

Sincerely,

John Dillis
Momentive Performance Materials

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I have a few tubes of window weld because my wife's GF was leaking at the windshield so I will check that as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts