Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I noticed once in a while that comes and goes at random. Yesteday,when I was sitting in the drive thru around noon and the car started "choke up" and sputter and then it died. Started back up perfect and ran good for the rest of the day just fine. I get off work around 5 pm yesterday I'm about half way home and come up to a red light everything is still fine till I decided to take off and "gas it" it reacted the same way a carborator would do when the fuel bowel would be empty and would die.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon 2.5L 5MT
34 Posts
It could be a number of things, but, let's start with the basics... is the check engine light on? if so, what codes? engine needs only 3 things to run - air, fuel, and spark. of course modern EFI is much more complicated in how it actually delivers those three things, but those are the basics. when's the last time you did spark plugs? when's the last time you ran injector cleaner? how clogged is the air filter?

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon 2.5L 5MT
34 Posts
Assuming the other three things are fine, I'd say if you have a quality scanner where you can read multiple inputs and sensors then check to see what the crankshaft position sensor is doing when it acts up.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,813 Posts
maybe you can grab some codes while its happening. the sputtering maybe so brief the light does not have a opportunity to come on.

electrical short

or front o2 senor maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts