Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 Subaru outback 2.5 Car acted like it had fuel cut off, died, IS THERE A EMERGENCY CUT OFF??? put in a new fuel pump, it started ran, drove, then did same thing it did the 1st time again, then blew fuel pump fuse, which are all good now , fuse test out good, no power to fuel pump, no spark to plugs but power to coil, visual looking the timing is good, cams are turning.....ran scan tool, it gave a LINK ERROR, when trying to link w/ computer......ANY HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
then blew fuel pump fuse
Sounds like you have a short in the electrical system and when you changed the pump you never addressed the original problem. That is assuming you got the right pump...

no power to fuel pump, no spark to plugs but power to coil
How did you determine that there is "power to the coil" but "no spark?"

visual looking the timing is good, cams are turning.....ran scan tool, it gave a LINK ERROR, when trying to link w/ computer......ANY HELP!!!!!!!
If you don't have spark, there is no way of knowing that the timing is good. If your tool is not linking with the computer then you still have an electrical problem. Time to look more closely at the ECU. I'm not a subie tech but I'm thinking the ECU controls timing and fuel injectors and (aside from the blown fuse which is most likely a second issue) may be the source of your current issue. Be careful when testing power coming in and out of the ECU. It's easy to fry the unit when testing power in and out. If you don't know how you can look it up on Google. If you never tested that kind of thing before I suggest having a real tech check it out.

Sometimes guessing and throwing parts at a car works out, but often without proper diagnosis of the original issue you can throw a lot of unnecessary money at a car before you find the real problem that started it all.

How many miles on the car? Auto/manual Trans?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,656 Posts
there are some older/cheap scan tools that won't link to one or some of the 4 OBDII protocols. Try a different scanner.

How did the old fuel pump look? check the metal cap and see if there's an o-ring poking out and/or a cracked tab on the metal cap (unlikely given the more recent symptoms - but worth a look)

Is the CEL on? Find a scanner that will link - or confirm that none will.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
there are some older/cheap scan tools that won't link to one or some of the 4 OBDII protocols. Try a different scanner.
Thanks, I forgot about that. :1pat:

I always assume wrong, that everyone has a good tool like I have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts