Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm back again for some advice. Old Red's suspension is beyond tired, with 15 yrs and almost 300,000 miles on them. Been looking through the forums and trying to figure out what I need.

From what I gather, for struts, OEM or KYB is the way to go for original ride feel. Probably leaning toward the KYB for cost. I'm sure I'll need all new mounting hardware since I'm tearing it down anyway. Coil springs I'm a little short on info.

There's OEM of course, and the aftermarket rally coils but I don't want to change the stiffness or ride height. Any brands that are cost friendly that still offer a OEM ride that are worth anything?

Also say I purchase OEM coils and hardware with KYB struts, are they compatible with each other? I'd assume they are but I've learned over time with Old Red not to assume anything.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
KYB was the OEM supplier, so it'll feel good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so KYB, anybody have any suggestions on the coil springs?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
check OEM prices from on-line suppliers like fredbeansparts.com, subaruparts4you, subarugenuineparts, etc. OEM are not 'crazy' expensive. I have had a local dealer price match on a coupla items.

maybe get a set from a low miles wreck? car-part.com ot LKQ ?

if you think your current springs just need a little help - check into Supersprings Sumosprings or Sulastic spring inserts. They seem easy and affordable - might not be long-lasting and probably need to be inspected occasionally....not sure

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
check OEM prices from on-line suppliers like fredbeansparts.com, subaruparts4you, subarugenuineparts, etc. OEM are not 'crazy' expensive. I have had a local dealer price match on a coupla items.

if you think your current springs just need a little help - check into Supersprings Sumosprings or Sulastic spring inserts. They seem easy and affordable - might not be long-lasting and probably need to be inspected occasionally....not sure

hopefully a annual Halloween 31% off sale at subarupartswarehouse.com ( of CT ) will show up. (I am making a list).

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OEM it is then, I'll see what I can find price. They weren't horribly priced but figured I'd check and see if there were any others out there that were highly rated.

Might as well get new since I'll be tearing into this anyway.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

sign up for emails from them. (30-31% off sales with them are usually just before oct 31 Halloween, and may 31 Memorial Day).

I pull part #s off other sites and then type them in there as their look up software is not as nice as the ones using revolution software.
(the dealer that ships = Premier of Brandford, CT).

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts