Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my blowers on the fritz. Making a thumping noise at real low rpm. The rpm fluctuates or stops all together. A good “tap” sometimes gets it going but never back to full speed. Went ahead and ordered a cheap blower on rock auto just to see if it’s the problem. I know the blower resistor is on the blower housing but can’t find the relay for the life of me.

I know the wire harness diagram shows it in d1 somewhere in the drivers area near the kick plate but still lost. Anybody have a picture of the sucker or can help in anyway it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
The failure to maintain speed is often the fan motor -- there's posts here where the symptoms are similar, and where tapping the motor gets it going at speed again. Did you receive the new blower yet?

However, does your H6 have the automatic HVAC? If so, then the motor speed is controlled by a power transistor in place of the physical resistor used for the manual HVAC, even though the wiring diagram still refers to both as the "blower motor resistor". (In the wiring diagrams, the auto HVAC "resistor" has a four terminal connector with three wires, whereas the manual "resistor" has a six terminal connector with four wires.)

Do you suspect the relay is in some way causing the "thumping"?

The "blower fan relay" is located next to the cabin fuse box. See http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_21/electronic/electrical_parts_body/illustration_3/

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
all 2001-2004 H6 have auto-climate control. (which can be run manually too..)..

I wonder if there is a bunch of leaves/pine needles/ maple seeds etc in the hamster wheel area and on the low speed there just is not enough energy to move it properly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The failure to maintain speed is often the fan motor -- there's posts here where the symptoms are similar, and where tapping the motor gets it going at speed again. Did you receive the new blower yet?

However, does your H6 have the automatic HVAC? If so, then the motor speed is controlled by a power transistor in place of the physical resistor used for the manual HVAC, even though the wiring diagram still refers to both as the "blower motor resistor". (In the wiring diagrams, the auto HVAC "resistor" has a four terminal connector with three wires, whereas the manual "resistor" has a six terminal connector with four wires.)

Do you suspect the relay is in some way causing the "thumping"?

The "blower fan relay" is located next to the cabin fuse box. See http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_21/electronic/electrical_parts_body/illustration_3/

I’m thinking it’s the motor too, the motors hot to the touch and the tapping and noises make me think bearing.

I was going to try the relay if that failed because it’s a lot cheaper then the transistor/resistor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all 2001-2004 H6 have auto-climate control. (which can be run manually too..)..

I wonder if there is a bunch of leaves/pine needles/ maple seeds etc in the hamster wheel area and on the low speed there just is not enough energy to move it properly.

It won’t even make it to high anymore. If I let it sit for a bit and then start it or maybe a little tap, it’ll maybe move up to blower setting 2-3 but usually starts to slow down to 1-0 after a while.

I will see if there’s anything in there once I go to replace it but if I am right, the cabin filter is before the blower so debris shouldn’t be able to get in there, should it?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
It won’t even make it to high anymore. If I let it sit for a bit and then start it or maybe a little tap, it’ll maybe move up to blower setting 2-3 but usually starts to slow down to 1-0 after a while.

I will see if there’s anything in there once I go to replace it but if I am right, the cabin filter is before the blower so debris shouldn’t be able to get in there, should it?

when I changed the cabin air filter there was a little bit of pine needles, maple seeds, and ground up leaves

everywhere. needed a shop vac. mine was not bad though. but about a fist full of stuff.

you could also have a mouse nest in there.

(incidentally the filter I bought was a ATP branded set from amazon, with activated charcoal made from coconut husk).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I changed the cabin air filter there was a little bit of pine needles, maple seeds, and ground up leaves

everywhere. needed a shop vac. mine was not bad though. but about a fist full of stuff.

you could also have a mouse nest in there.

(incidentally the filter I bought was a ATP branded set from amazon, with activated charcoal made from coconut husk).

I’ll have to check, when I replaced my cabin filter last year it was bad but I thought I got it all out. I doubt it a mouse the car doesn’t sit for more than a day at most. Also fan was forking just fine until a few days ago.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turned out to be just the blower motor was going out. Replaced it today and got my quasi ac going again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts