Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Subby 03 outback H6 wagon.

The car had a bad chugging at about 100 kmhr under light mid throttle.
The car had just been to subby for a service, to fix the problem, they said all is good and used some upper engine cleaner

The car then went in for a 100k service at subby, as it missed the service. the car has 146 K on it. Showed the service tech the chugging problem.

So plugs and lead replaced. Problem was still there.

Took it back and they said the throttle cable was udjusted incorrectly hence giving TPS bad signals. So i thought fair enough. It was good for a while but know it has a very slight chug , however it is still there and passangers can feel it as well.

So i found subaru to be not much help. 2 services and they did not see the throttle cable problem and found them not to interested in helping me, just charging me. They said they would have to replace the TPS if the problem is still there.

There are no error codes reported. they sais the TPS voltages are a little rractic but within spec?

I have read this thread here on similar problem. Will try the disconnection of the battery to reset to defaults as suggested.

My next idea is to replace the TPS. Anyone know if there is a how to guide, or if its difficult to do.

ps i only run it on octane 95.

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
So I'm guessing your are not from the U.S. because your posts is in metric like most of the rest of the world. If you were, I'd suggest taking your concerns to Subaru of America (SOA). Perhaps there is an equivalent organization where you live.

What mileage, transmission type, and location (cold and wet or hot and dry) is your car? My older model had similar symptoms especially when just starting up a slight hill which only required a small increase in throttle. I did the plugs and wires like you, but found a new coil solved my problem. I wouldn't just throw money at it though. Give us some more background and let some of the gurus here ask you some diagnostic questions. In the meantime, find another dealership. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Yep in Australia.

ITs an 03 outback wagon, H6 auto. 143 K km. I live in victoria so hot summer cold winters ( no snow no frosts)

I bought it from my brother. It had the problem for a while. He had it serviced, upper engine seem to fix it, as soon as i hit the highway it started the chugged at about 100 kmhr. The tacho does not move so no drop in revs.

While it doesnt do that know, when your driving around town the change from 1 to 2nd is not as smooth as the rest of the gear changes and you can feel the slight hesitation in the throttle and it just feels like it is slightly erratic

ITs been at 2 different dealers and they have both state different things that need repairing, so i do not really believe them. I have been reading here finding many similar stores and chugging and TPS,s.

There $100 US but $280 here in Aust. found a thread where guy said the tps with ohm meter and should be smooth transisition. Not sure how to test the tps like this. i assume you leave it in the car test the ohms while someone presses the throttle?

If its been to 2 dealer with the known problem and neither have found a problem. No codes etc. However after the 100 k service and the problem was still there the egine light came on just before i took it into subby. Yet they tell me there are no fault codes. Who knows if they are telling the truth or not. I do not understand the technonloy enought to say.

Cheer

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,230 Posts
'lead' replaced
if that is Antipodean lingo for 'replaced spark plug wires', there are none on the H6. It's coil on plug.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,230 Posts
did the service mentioned include a transmission fluid drain/fill? Has the trans gotten new fluid recently?

if you shifted the transmission by hand, would you get any hesitation?

also, I believe some H6es had problems with the TPS so, that may be a good avenue to pursue. But I'd think a tech could confirm that in a few minutes with a meter. All modern cars have them and, it shouldn't be a mystery to a good mechanic.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,954 Posts
They don't perchance sell gas with more than 10% ethanol, do they?

What you are describing sounds like my '03 on 87, maybe there is a problem with the knock sensor(s) and it is retarding the heck out of the timing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did the service mentioned include a transmission fluid drain/fill? Has the trans gotten new fluid recently?
100k service so according to manual yes, and yep its on service record.

if you shifted the transmission by hand, would you get any hesitation?
Its not a hesitation with gear change ( its 2nd to 3rd gear change ) it a cherky change compared to the rest of the gears and yes if you do it manual ( its an auto) its still cherky.

Yep might get the TPS checked out.

What you are describing sounds like my '03 on 87, maybe there is a problem with the knock sensor(s) and it is retarding the heck out of the timing.
Not sure about ethanol i ll check. What is 87 is that the octane, must be diffrent in the states.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,954 Posts
I usually run 93 octane, on the odd occasion I ran 87 octane it acted much like you describe, due to the retarded ignition timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts