Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member, nice to be here.

I've got a 2002 Outback with the 2.5 SOHC non-turbo engine. I recently had the timing belt jump on me. Towed it home and started getting into it.

Removed timing belt cover and it looks like one of the idlers lost a couple ball bearings. I imagine this created slack allowing belt to jump. I wanted to reset the cam sprockets to the proper timing so I set TDC (intake) on the balancer removed the belt and started trying to adjust cam. Was able to get passenger side sprocket in the proper position but when I try to adjust the driver's side sprocket I encounter resistance and notice the crank sprocket rotates too.

Have i overlooked something/made a mistake? Or does this mean the valves met the piston when the belt jumped?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,215 Posts
Subaru doesn't use TDC position when setting timing. Use the alignment marks on the cams and crankshaft

Crankshaft timing mark

Passenger side camshaft

Drivers side cam shaft

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply, I was following instructions in the Chilton manual and assumed timing was based off TDC. I just went out and was able to orient all three marks in their proper position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up question, how likely is it there was valve damage when the belt skipped? I'm hoping to test before buying a new timing belt kit. But wondering the best way to go about it?

What i was imagining is, with the marks back in alignment, reinstalling the old belt and turning the engine over to tdc where I can then run a leak down test.

Do you guys think it would be safe, with the old belt back in place to run a quick compression test? Or am I running a risk of jumping timing again and damaging valves that might be ok?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,215 Posts
Slap on the old belt with a replacement idler and turn it over

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
748 Posts
If the belt only jumped a few teeth then the chance of damage is low.

As suggested above install a new idler and turn it over.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i
4,486 Posts
And by "turn it over", we mean "by hand for two full revolutions using a breaker bar on the crank socket". If that is successful, then, and only then use the electric starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update here:
  1. Got the timing set and the old belt back in place. Ran a compression test to find 50psi on cylinders 2+4 and 0psi on cylinders 1+3. Unless im overlooking something it seems to me there was valve/piston damage when the timing jumped.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Update here:
  1. Got the timing set and the old belt back in place. Ran a compression test to find 50psi on cylinders 2+4 and 0psi on cylinders 1+3. Unless im overlooking something it seems to me there was valve/piston damage when the timing jumped.
That would be my thoughts. Either take the heads off and send them out or drop in a used engine or a JDM EJ20 engine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts