Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Subaru Outback Limited, H4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not been able to catch the CEL on and get it tested at the same time. Every time I'm going to the CEL switches off. Had this issue for awhile and just haven't been able to diagnose. The original problem was the CEL light coming on when pushing the car hard up past 3rd gear. But the Subi has been showing something else recently that doesn't trip off the CEL.

Basically I have to keep the car in very smooth acceleration. If it gets pushed too fast the gears suddenly don't transition properly and they'll stay in each gear longer, RPMs get higher before switching. Sometimes I'll have to take foot off the gas to get it to progress. During this time, the gas gauge goes all wacky. If its at 3/4 it'll read 1/2 and bounce around between there. If its at 1/4 it'll read on empty with gas light.

Have had to take the car off freeway driving and put it on city for now. Thing that bugs me tho is I had the car in with Subaru during the first issue and the first issue got better but didn't go away. Now this is happening. Not to mention the AC, which they fixed, is now acting like the heat has been left on. These guys work on race car Subis and I can't help but think I'd be better off taking this thing to my Volvo mechanics, who used to work on Subis years ago.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Have not been able to catch the CEL on and get it tested at the same time. Every time I'm going to the CEL switches off. Had this issue for awhile and just haven't been able to diagnose. The original problem was the CEL light coming on when pushing the car hard up past 3rd gear. But the Subi has been showing something else recently that doesn't trip off the CEL.

Basically I have to keep the car in very smooth acceleration. If it gets pushed too fast the gears suddenly don't transition properly and they'll stay in each gear longer, RPMs get higher before switching. Sometimes I'll have to take foot off the gas to get it to progress. During this time, the gas gauge goes all wacky. If its at 3/4 it'll read 1/2 and bounce around between there. If its at 1/4 it'll read on empty with gas light.

Have had to take the car off freeway driving and put it on city for now. Thing that bugs me tho is I had the car in with Subaru during the first issue and the first issue got better but didn't go away. Now this is happening. Not to mention the AC, which they fixed, is now acting like the heat has been left on. These guys work on race car Subis and I can't help but think I'd be better off taking this thing to my Volvo mechanics, who used to work on Subis years ago.
Regarding the CEL, check it anyway. It probably still has the code stored, just doesn't show it as an "MIL" code that will turn on the light. That would almost certainly give some insight into the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the codes. P0032, P0137, and P0138. Looks like O2 sensors or involving O2 sensors. Hmmm. Thought those had just been replaced. Can faulty O2 sensors cause a car to behave like this?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
Pulled the codes. P0032, P0137, and P0138. Looks like O2 sensors or involving O2 sensors. Hmmm. Thought those had just been replaced. Can faulty O2 sensors cause a car to behave like this?
Look into your battery and alternator performance. The gauges acting up is a giveaway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brand new interstate battery so then I guess alternator.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Brand new interstate battery so then I guess alternator.
Throw a multimeter on the battery. You should be at ~14v when running. If you're much lower than that, that would definitely point to a dying alternator.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
Also check and clean all the grounds. The main cable to the block by the starter, and the ones shown in the pictures. You will need to remove the air filter box to get the ones on the firewall.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts