Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
grossgary said:
Wow, you're having some terrible misfortune. In general start a thread and send me a link to it, I don't have time to necessarily reply to everyone individually unfortunately, I wish I could. Anyway i'll attempt to give you somethign to go on in light of your ongoing debacle.

I get a little hesitant when you have non-traditional HG failure symptoms - like bubbling in the overflow, which is not typical for your particular EJ25 (others it is, but not yours) - that could mean previous head work, significant overheating....or nothing.... If you're positive the engine was never worked on, overheated, etc then new headgaskets should be good for another 100,000 miles. It's really just guess work, there's no way to know the condition of the engine. As good as you can guess is as close as you can get to a 100% solution.

YES - use the EJ25 turbo gaskets on that motor. And they muste be resurfaced - they don't need tested as these heads never fail, so don't pay for a pressure test, but they always have high/low spots.

Another option is to source a used 99+ EJ22 (legacy or impreza). I priced one out two days ago and found a few for $400 - $600. Sell your old engine for about the same and you're only out installation/labor costs - $500 or so. Your EJ25 timing components, water pump, accesory belts, all swap right over to the EJ22 - same bits.

I just did this for a friend - got the EJ22 engine (and resealed it, new timing belts, etc) for $350 and will sell his EJ25 for $700 or so....he's only out labor costs as i didn't have time to do the motor swap for him so i just found/prepped the new motor and will replace headgaskets and sell the old one.

The EJ22 doesn't have the headgasket issues of the EJ25. Loose a little power, but worth it for a better motor and lower costs in some situations.

www.car-parts.com for all the used EJ22's around you.
search for 1999 legacy or impreza EJ22's. any 99-2001 EJ22 will work.
Swap the cam and crank sprockets just to be sure....since yo'ull want new timing components anyway and probably new cam seals, that's really no additional work once the timing belt is off.

good luck,
Gary

5bgeorge said:
Hello grossgary. You helped with some responses to my original queries regarding a CEL 0172 problem last November and I appreciate your candor and knowledge of the Subies. Turns out that after replacing the front crank seal and crankcase access plug seals, the H20 pump, thermostat, front cam seals, front O2 sensor, timing & accessory belts with new tensioner & idlers, and a new RH side valve cover gasket set - along with new front rotors and ceramic brake pads...I still had a small oil leak and noticed some coolant in the drip...then, after about a 1000 miles of driving and 3/4 qt of oil & 1/2 qt of antifreeze, I added some alumaseal to the coolant and ended the coolant leak. Then, I got a new CEL code for misfiring on #1, #2 & #4 and was dealing with transient engine misfiring symptoms after warmup. Sounds like the head gasket, which was confirmed by a local shop that noticed bubbles in the coolant overflow tank after warmup. So, I'm faced with the decision to either go ahead with a HG job - & the shop is quoting $1600 for labor and machine shop services - plus parts and fluid replacements, on a car with 151,000 mi on the chassis and 130k on the engine. This, of course is on top of the $1400 I just put into it. Am I missing an alternative? And, if I go ahead with the HG job, should I get the Turbo HG set? If so, what's the difference? Thanks for your help. My e-mail is [email protected], but I'll try to find your response on this forum. thanks again. 5bgeorge

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback
6 Posts
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with 90600 miles on it . It has been using approx. a pint of coolant every 1000 miles since 80000. The last time I had it state inspected mechanic stated head gasket was leaking slightly and should be replaced. Quoted price of 2400.00 for complete job. I think I will try a sealer kit specifically for this model Subaru . It is 149.00 and I hope it works . It has great reviews from others who have used

1 - 2 of 2 Posts