1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Title should be "02 Outback 3.0L - No Start"

Searched, but maybe not the best...

Awesome first post, i know... I am having a no start issue. I had just replaced the idler pulley on the v belt and was trying to pinpoint the bearing squeal I was getting, as the new idler pulley didn't solve the issue, and the engine cut out. A hard cut out, like turning off the car. I went to go try to start it back up and the motor is turning over, but wont start and there is a relay clicking under the steering column. I have never noticed the relay clicking when starting, but this is a new to me car. I am also not getting any codes thrown at me. It sounds as if the fuel pump is priming when key is on. Please help, ol' internet wizards lead me in the direction of flow charts and tests.

On a side note, why is there not in each model/gen this thread of "Problems and Maintenance", as I would think this would be easier to pinpoint from the certain model gurus out there then just having a lump sum of problems and maintenance?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Perhaps it was fitted with an aftermarket alarm or remote start?

Try disconnecting the battery for awhile?

On my H6 I had a weird 'chirp' from the belts, turned out to be the rubber on the crank pulley disintegrating and the outer part of the pulley scraping the timing cover.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
well, no one "has" to change the thread title as in 2002, outback wagons and sedans were the only subarus with 3.0 engine.

(no tribeca yet, and low legacy only had plain H4).

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
. . and the engine cut out. A hard cut out, like turning off the car. I went to go try to start it back up and the motor is turning over, but wont start . . . . It sounds as if the fuel pump is priming when key is on.
Could be the fuel supply.

Common problem in that generation is a failed o-ring and cap in the fuel pump assembly. Fuel pump motor will run, but there's not enough pressure reaching the injectors. There's lots of threads on this problem, e.g., http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up removing the fuel pump to check on the typical o-ring problem, to come and find that this car, with 225k miles on the clock has a non-cracked cap, but the oring seems swelled. Put it back together and will order a new viton o-ring.

Tried cranking it again, and it is the green plug relay (fuel pump) that is making the clicking noise. I swapped it out the the main relay just below it, and still same thing. This totally feels electrical. I go over the engine grounds, and found my problem. The two grounds that are right next to each other on the main engine harness were not bolted down. Fired up after making those tight. After swapping in a junk yard engine, I was getting a P041 code that wasn't there before the swap and I was trying to pull the harness without pulling the intake manifold off. I got to the point of disconnecting everything on the right side of the engine to realize I had to pull the intake and plugged everything back in, but I guess forgot to bolt down those two grounds. The p041 also dissappered after messing with the harness.

Solved: Check your grounds are actually grounded!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts