Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 OBW 2.5L

One of my driverside pistons was frozen, so after an hour of swearing and trying to get it to pop using my air compressor I decided to just pop for a new caliper. Had the local Autozone get me a caliper for an 02. Just got in from trying to fit it on and its a no go. After talking to the guys at AZ they pulled up the numbers for an 03 just to see, and lo and behold, It looks like mine??? The build date on my door says 03/02... Anybody have any reasoning as to whats going on here, or run into this before?

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked that and its stamped 2, thats whats confusing me.
Not sure if its a fubar on Autozones part numbers or what? The caliper I got is shaped like two distinct cylinders, where the one they have labeled 03 is the rounded back with three heavy ridges...

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May have found a little after hunting around.
I Just found a photo on ebay of a
CARDONE 19-B1949A Front Brake Caliper

Their listing states that it fits front before 10/2001?

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up the 03 caliper and installed it this afternoon, fit just as it should. I hope my little predicament will keep others from having this problem... On a side note, I bled the brakes out, but the BRAKE light on the dash is now illuminated. I assume this means that I need to further bleed the system? Or do I need to run a scan tool to flash it?

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Typically the BRAKE warning light is tied to the level sensor in the master cylinder reservoir. Is the reservoir full and you're sure that the float for the level sensor is not stuck?

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill check the float in the morning... Its supposed to get down to -14 toninght so I have no motivation to go fumbling around with the mag light right now. Thanks for the heads up on how that sensor senses.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,977 Posts
My '02 was produced in late summer, 2001, and uses the front brakes sourced from the 2001 models. There was at least one, according to once source two front brake updates during the 2002 model year. Yes, a real pain....

·
Registered
02, 2.5, 4cyl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. It's nice to know that ours isn't the only freaks how out there. Took a min to check the fluid and the float. It has reset itself and the dash light is off now. Pedal still feels a bit mushy though, so it looks like I will be doing some more bleeding in the next couple of days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts