Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the foam breaks you can buy a new foam cushion and have it installed or do what I did and find a good auto upholstery shop. I was surprised to find a wire inside; the only side support for the foam.... No wonder they break down! Then the fabric, cloth or leather, wears out from the inside and splits open! I found out the hard way with another "classic" car.:mad:

They glued the foam back together added reinforcement material & then put a bonding foam over the top and reinforced the under side. Much stronger than OEM; original or the replacement part ($125.00). Took 1hr while I waited!:29: If yours feels broken (split open) get it fixed before the seat cover rips open; it's much cheaper now rather than later. This was quoted @ $70.00; they charged me $30.00:D (I pulled the seat)

So here's the pics: Click to enlarge.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
When the foam breaks you can buy a new foam cushion and have it installed or do what I did and find a good auto upholstery shop. I was surprised to find a wire inside; the only side support for the foam.... No wonder they break down! Then the fabric, cloth or leather, wears out from the inside and splits open! I found out the hard way with another "classic" car.:mad:

They glued the foam back together added reinforcement material & then put a bonding foam over the top and reinforced the under side. Much stronger than OEM; original or the replacement part ($125.00). Took 1hr while I waited!:29: If yours feels broken (split open) get it fixed before the seat cover rips open; it's much cheaper now rather than later. This was quoted @ $70.00; they charged me $30.00:D (I pulled the seat)

So here's the pics: Click to enlarge.

Taking apart these seats is a pain! I just replaced the leather cover (torn at the seam--wouldn't have been easy to sew back up especially considering how close the heating element pad is to where it broke!) on the cushion pad on my 2004. The leather is held on with four metal rods/wires around the center. I lost patience trying to get all four back in, so two are holding it. I don't really notice a difference.

My foam wasn't breaking, but I was surprised to see that it didn't feel like it was supported by much (now I know!). They basically just expect the shape to hold itself together apparently.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taking apart these seats is a pain!
I didn't even try! Those guys have all the tools and knowledge so it was well worth it and I knew by the feel that the foam had split. Heck it could have cost me as much buying materials and wouldn't have been near as good. :gasp: They removed the complete cover to do the work. I didn't want to hover over while he did the job but it sounded like there were quite a few "hog-rings" holding it together.

That seat heater was quite thin.....

Glad your replacement worked out!:29:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I didn't even try! Those guys have all the tools and knowledge so it was well worth it and I knew by the feel that the foam had split. Heck it could have cost me as much buying materials and wouldn't have been near as good. :gasp: They removed the complete cover to do the work. I didn't want to hover over while he did the job but it sounded like there were quite a few "hog-rings" holding it together.

That seat heater was quite thin.....

Glad your replacement worked out!:29:
Mine had those metal rod/wires held in by the hog rings, and the wires were curved into a hook at each end which wouldn't make it past the rings. Very frustrating.

Agreed on the seat heater...at first I thought it was just a random piece of fabric until I saw the wires. I was a little worried that it wouldn't work when I got it back together, but it was fine (I don't care what anyone says, I LOVE my heated seats).

The back and cushion don't quite match now, and it bugs me (the leather on the back has seen 8 years of wear-and tear, so it's shiny and slightly darker). Much better than the tear in the seat that I somehow put up with for a year, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing