Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 OBW (Hunter, off-road ready Daily), 11 OBW 3.6R, 99, 01, and 05 OBW's, and a 99 Fox (RIP)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm having a horrible time trying to get my wife's new (used) Outback on the road, were down to 1 vehicle, and need this fixed ASAP. I screwed up the trans, ROYALLY (input shaft busted into a billion pieces), and am not able to find a good one from a 99. I bought an auto from an 03 Forester, but it was already pulled (the only one I could find that wasn't a small fortune), and I have no clue what the final drive ratios are...the part numbers are different. I cannot find info for the older autos anywhere. My question is, can I put the 03 Forester trans in, and have it be happy, or are the front and rear diffs gonna fight each other due to different gearing, also, I've seen stuff about mismatched gear ratios and a reduction in the trans?????? I don't have access to the car the trans was in, or I'd just pull the diff... My next question is, will an 03 Forester diff bolt into a 99 Outback? Any help would be very much appreciated! TIA

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,900 Posts
You didn't specify auto or manual.

From what I am seeing in the specs, both year models should be Phase II automatics and 4.44 ratio. The manuals were 4.11. The bolt pattern on the DOHC and SOHC are the same so the 93 will bolt to the 99.

·
Registered
99 OBW (Hunter, off-road ready Daily), 11 OBW 3.6R, 99, 01, and 05 OBW's, and a 99 Fox (RIP)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't specify auto or manual.

From what I am seeing in the specs, both year models should be Phase II automatics and 4.44 ratio. The manuals were 4.11. The bolt pattern on the DOHC and SOHC are the same so the 93 will bolt to the 99.
Sorry, they're both automatics. So they're both 4.44 ratio? If so, I should be able to just bolt it in and run it as is. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts