Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003, H6, 118,000 miles. Starts in Park and Neutral and runs fine including revving. Once I put it in Drive or Reverse in will move a bit and then stalls out. No codes are showing up at all. I once had a PO731 but that hasn't shown again. Subaru doesn't have a clue without codes showing.
Is there a wheel sensor or trans sensor that is shutting the engine off? I don't think it would be the throttle position sensor if it runs in Neutral or Park.
Let me know what next to check.
Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but this doesn't address the various sensors that I should check. Is there anyone out these that knows something about the sensors that come into play when the car is put into gear? I don't just want to tow it to the dealership. You all know the outcome there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts
Thanks but this doesn't address the various sensors that I should check. Is there anyone out these that knows something about the sensors that come into play when the car is put into gear? I don't just want to tow it to the dealership. You all know the outcome there.
do you have a windows laptop?

might be able to look at it with free rom-raider and a $10 VAG cable. (this is a 2004 H6 car, which had a few changes in the trans over the 2001-2003 H6)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...imited-sedan-trans-replacement-questions.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have a laptop and I did read the thread you mentioned. That process is fairly complicated and the poster uses terms I'm not familiar with...."flashing".
So I guess I'll check the connections behind the air box going to the trans and also the fuses. Any info on the fuses that control the trans?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts
Thanks. I have a laptop and I did read the thread you mentioned. That process is fairly complicated and the poster uses terms I'm not familiar with...."flashing".
So I guess I'll check the connections behind the air box going to the trans and also the fuses. Any info on the fuses that control the trans?
some of that was me.

you are " logging" the data, = simply reading, a trouble free, passive activity.

___

tuners re-flash. = uploading a new bunch of code to make their car faster,

and need fancier things then $10 VAG cables. like $170 tactrix items. or they will be out looking for a replacement ECU / TCU if it gets stuck without 100% of a load in it. (not the end of the world, but a reason for $170 tactrix branded stuff mentioned on the rom-raider site).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Dave. It seems to do it after it warms up.
The local private repair guy has a wait on 3 weeks to take a look at it.
Also if your car is an 04+ it might have the fly by wire pedal...but mine doesn't so I've been told the TPS wouldn't be the culprit. Still welcome feedback. The TPS isn't the easiest to check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...so I unplugged the TPS today and tested the power to it. 5 volts. Plugged it back in and drove it around the block with much hesitation and engine light finally came on with PO122. Alas...the TPS code. So I'm looking for a TPS locally. Any feedback on brands that folks have used. Dealer is a $198 and the range goes all the way to $52 for a Duralast. Other brands are Echlin, Standard, Alltex-Wells , and BMD. Huge range in prices.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts

·
Registered
2004 H6 Outback Wagon "35th Anniversary Edition" w/o front bumper
347 Posts
22633AA240 is the 2nd-to-last updated TPS from the OEM and about $100 cheaper than the very latest. I was told the original sensors had some kind of service recall bulletin out for them so that's why I didn't go pick and pull from a used one for mine.

I got a $50 Standard Motor Prodcuts one off RockAuto. Aparrently these are the same ones that BWD gets them from.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Thanks, @eagleeye. Alas, I'm keeping the TPS with the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts