Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Legacy Sedan that is not starting, the battery tested good and charged at 90% (AutoZone) No clicking, No dashboard light when I put the key in the ignition and turn and no radio.
Advice

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
Check your grounds, the main ground to the starter, negative battery cable. I have seen these get corroded solid under the insulation. Most people just clean up the ends, however, all the internal corrosion is still there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
what happens when you jump it from another known good battery?

when were the battery terminal ends and battery cables swapped last? = with a nice quality fresh roll of electrical tape ready, slice open the casings with a razor knife and look for corrosion.

and make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, = sometimes the bolts seem like they are tightening but the clamp is not actually making better contact.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
1. Check that the battery posts are clean.
2. Check that the terminals are clean and *tight*.

Do not assume 1 & 2 are probably good - actually remove and clean them or trace voltage supply *beyond the batter* with a volt meter. This happens *all the time* - battery is good but the posts or terminals are dirty, corroded, loose, etc.

Ideally with a voltmeter you check voltage increasingly further from the battery and see where you loose it - check at the battery posts (as you've already done), at the terminals, at the starter, and the fuse box and see if those items are connected to this good battery.

3. Check the main fuse in the engine bay fuse panel

4. what's the story - your daily driver since 2003 when you bought it new or you just bought a flood car from texas on craigslist or you just got the car back from major engine repair?

5. are you saying nothing happens when you put the key in the ignition and turn it? no lights and nothing works?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had the car since 2009 running good until this.
battery post cleaned and cables cleaned and tighten.
Main ground, scrubbed clean and reattached.
turn key and nothing, not cracking, not dashboard lights, no radio
no voltage meter check

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
miles on this?

what happens when you turn it to on, without going to start? what dash lights come on? do you hear the fuel pump cycling?

miles on this? original ignition switch?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about 120000 miles, only light is the car door open light that come on / off when I shut the door. I do not hear anything, not sure if original switch, I am guessing yes since I have not switched it out.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
I have had the car since 2009 running good until this.
battery post cleaned and cables cleaned and tighten.
Main ground, scrubbed clean and reattached.
turn key and nothing, not cracking, not dashboard lights, no radio
no voltage meter check
Test the continuity of the ground cable. Cleaning ends as I mentioned before is not going to help if the cable is corroded internally. Does the starter get power when the key is engaged.

A multimeter is need to help solve this.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,306 Posts
It sounds like all the things that bypass the ignition switch - like overhead lights from a door opening, emergency flashers, horn, etc. - all work. And all the things that go through the ignition switch don't work.

I suspect a bad ignition switch.

How do things behave when the key is in the accessory position (radio, HVAC, etc.)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts