Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife's 03 outback "85k miles" recently got a CEL.:( the code reader said it is a p0030.:mad:. I believe this is a "bank 1 sensor 1 heater circiut" up stream O2 sensor, after some testing the heater is getting 12 volts and the resistance is about 5 to 6 ohms, this sounds like a good value, so back to the code reader, the live data reading for the O2 sensor was eratic and usually 2 to 5 volts, from some reseach i think the voltage should be between 0 and 1 volt. the live data for the rear O2 sensor is normally between .2 and .7 volts. so i decided to buy an after market sensor. i installed the new sensor and now am getting a steady 2.155 volts on the live data from the code reader.
unsure what to do next i took it the dealer and explained to them what i had done and they recomended flashing the ECM with an updated firmware to the tune of $144- dollars. the CEL was off when i started the car at the dealer but till i drove the car off the lot the CEL was back on, so when i got home i hooked up the code reader again and the front O2 sensor is still reading 2.155 volts. :28: help me please!:confused:

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
861 Posts
What was manufacturer of the aftermarket sensor you replaced it with? Are you getting the p0030 code for the aftermarket sensor as well? Subaru's are picky with what they like. Denso is the manufacturer for the oem sensors and you can buy them on RockAuto.com.

I had a similar problem where I replaced the front O2 on my '06 Forester with an Ngk/Ntk sensor, still got the a CEL code for it, thinking it was a faulty sensor, I replaced with the another of the same brand and again I got the CEL light for it. Finally I bought a Denso and problem solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was an after market sensor model #arbs960922. i took an ohm reading for the heater on both the old and new sensors and they were both the same, i also did the propane torch bench test on both sensors and was getting
.0 to about .7 volts from both the sensors. this leads me to believe that there is some thing else wrong! I have not tried a denso which was the original sensor manufacturer. i am getting the same code

1 - 3 of 3 Posts