Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, when I fly my RC planes and it's cold enough out that I roll up the windows on the sube I always put the keys on the roof- just in case.

Today, keys on the roof, one back door opened, putting something in the car, I hear *click*.

Uh-huh- the doors just locked. I did notice and unlocked them manually, but had I not, and had I left the keys in the ignition, it would have been a looong walk to a phone.

It was not initiated by the fob, as there was no 'beep', just the sound of the lock motors.

All I can think of is I just happened to touch the outer skin of the door at that moment and sent a static charge into the panel, but that seems unlikely. I was standing on damp grass at the time.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
anyone using their rc plane controls at the same time. It is a radio transmitter after all. Maybe the frequencies clicked.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was alone at the field, my TX was off and in the case, and the plane was in the car, battery removed.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
i'm doubting an external signal, whether from an RC device or a static charge. The keyless entry remote system is coded to prevent other radio sources from triggering it. Also, it has to be designed to be impervious to spurious radio signals, otherwise the doors locks would be "doing a dance" almost constantly. (This assumes the system is working properly, of course.)

Any chance the driver's door master lock/unlock switch was pressed to "lock" when getting out? It will trigger the lock actuators without the "beep" (which, I believe, will sound when the last remaining open door is closed).

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the lock switch had been hit when I got out, it would have locked before I could get the rear door open.

I distinctly heard the lock motors activate when the rear door was open and I was leaning in.

One of life's little mysteries...

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
better start hiding a key under the car some where. this may happen again.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always removed the key when I get out of the car, unless a window is open, just so I can't get locked out...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts