Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 01' LLBean and the dash lights are barely visible and daylight driving is even harfpder with no lighting. The bulbs are very tiny, not sure of the actual number...HELP,!!
What size shoild i order and will red or blue leds work or are they even available?
Thanks sooo much,
Roger
360-308/8307
[email protected]

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,417 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback LL Bean H6
21 Posts
so for those having led failures do you think its a fluctuating voltage causing the failure or heat related, superlumination has heat sink specific bulbs for heat issue areas or they have a special regulated bulb supposed to prevent issues with erratic voltage...... how is everyone's superbright leds running, I want to change to red but don't want to be redoing the job in 2 years so im trying to decide between the red leds and red silicone covers on incandescent light bulbs

·
Registered
2001 Outback LL Bean H6
21 Posts
Yeah red bulbs are easy to find, my question is for those running leds how long have they lasted for you

·
Registered
2005 OBXT 5MT
26 Posts
I tested the voltage on each of the bulb sockets and they seem to read a little low. The 74's (clock and odometer) read just over 9V at full brightness and the other four 194's are at about 10V. Is this normal? My power outlet/socket puts out 12.2V. This is with the engine running, too. I wonder if this is the cause of the dimness.

Edit/Update: I didn't get any feedback on my previous comment. So, I installed the 74R's in everything but the clock, odometer, and the blinker lights (which I kept white/clear). The reds in those areas were just too dim to see in the daytime and/or night. Otherwise, the warning lights, speedo, and tach look great in red.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon 5 speed
14 Posts
I gave up on the LEDs. They lasted about 2 years. I bought some amber incandescent bulbs at the local auto parts store.

An electrician I work with said the LEDs most likely have bad heat sinks. So they overheat and fail.

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
126 Posts
FWIW, just get green incandescent light bulbs and never have to worry about dealing with the blue light bulb condoms. Which inevitably rip. They will dim properly, and won't burn out in 6 mo's.

Box of 10 194G Green Lamp Auto Bulb Automotive 14V 3 78W 0 27A | eBay

Box of 10 Bulbs 74g 74 Green Lamp Miniature Incandescent Lightbulbs Auto | eBay

Here's the switch lights

10 Qty Eiko 8640 14V 08A T1 1 4 Wire Term Lamp Bulb | eBay
It has been several years......wondering how these green bulbs have held up since your post in 2015?
Thanks,
Jim

61 - 71 of 71 Posts