Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So i recently(last year during 2020. Got this great car. Its an 03 sub out llbean 3.0 h6 and needed some serious love and care. I ve changed the most of the rear end suspention because it was that bad the grease boots around the bushing were accepting pennies. So i changed that all brakes and more. But before moving to the front it dawned on me why waste money on new stuff for the front since i want to lift it anyways and need to learn how and what i ll need. So i m new to being a car guy. Well an actively partcipating one that is. But have always loved cars. So i m learned what i can and cant do because i ve worked on plenty of machines and delt with machining but this seems a little different especially since its a daily driver and i have to get it right becauee i have a son and i dont want to run the risk of his wellbeing. So i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips tricks and advice on lifting my sub, purchasing from a reputable seller who sells kits i would need what options of kits or where ro find the information on kits available and wmif i should stick to one specific kit or if i should get the parts all separate and assemble it myself? And what lift tolerances i am going to have? Thanks folks. I appreciate you guys.

·
Registered
2000 OB Brighton, 2005 OB 2.5 Euro Spec, 2007 OB w/ DIY 2" Lift
51 Posts
Most people say 2 inches is the most you can get without some drivetrain problems. Most popular way is king springs for a 1 inch lift and then a 1 inch spacer from
awdadventure.com or Gorilla Off-road.

depending on your mileage, you’ll probably want to do new struts too. Everyone here says go with the KYB excel-G, it’s similar to what the car had originally.

If you want to go a bit nuts, Gorilla also makes a coilover kit that offers a 2 inch lift, but it’s a cool $1,900...

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
985 Posts
I'll be getting a 2" kit with trailing arm spacers from www.sjrlift.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to Numbchux and galuple for the advise. will i need to change my rear and front lower and upper control arms my links and my cv axles or can i go with standard parts for these, that is for lifting i mean? since i ll be changing the ground clearance will it cause those parts to need to be specialized or will original specs be safe to stay with in the long run for the handling and lift adjustment for the vehicles overall sustainment?

·
Registered
2000 OB Brighton, 2005 OB 2.5 Euro Spec, 2007 OB w/ DIY 2" Lift
51 Posts
If you're under 2 inches or less, you should be okay with stock parts. Some people find that they need a bit more camber in the rear. For that, you can go with adjustable rear control arms, or Whiteline KCA399 camber control arm bushings.

·
Registered
985 Posts
thanks to Numbchux and galuple for the advise. will i need to change my rear and front lower and upper control arms my links and my cv axles or can i go with standard parts for these, that is for lifting i mean? since i ll be changing the ground clearance will it cause those parts to need to be specialized or will original specs be safe to stay with in the long run for the handling and lift adjustment for the vehicles overall sustainment?
Nope, don't need to change them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks. i appreciate the help. Any advice on where to get specs on torque ratios and other tactics and techniques for changing parts on this particular model? i looked at a haynes book but it specifically says no info on h6 or diesel and i have an h6

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to both of you i really appreciate all the help with everything. how do you know how to balance what struts and shocks to use with what lift sizes and spacers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts