Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I have an 03 5MT EJ251 that I'd love to get some more power out of.
So far all it really had is eBay UEL's, Group N mounts (engine, torque, and tranny) Kartboy shifter bush kit, Kartboy trans member bushes, and Whiteline diff inserts and forward bushes.
I am curious about a few things. I'd like to repower her, and I was thinking an EJ255 swap + drivetrain. Maybe 04 FXT? Or could I do an LGT swap? I understand wiring comes into play, and for that reason I suspect the FXT would be easier (cluster looks about the same, likely less BUS integration than the LGT's) but I'm looking for experienced input.
I'm also curious about handling. I've seen the writeup on lowering the OB and essentially making it a Legacy Wagon ( https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?6999-Lowering-my-Outbacks-the-hard-(Right)-way ) and have thought about that, but I'd like some input either way.

I am a 10+ year mechanic with electrical experience, currently heavy equipment for Cat.

Thanks!

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I have dropped both of my OB XTs Legacy height. Both of my cars have a slight rake toward the front (no saggy butt). I have reworked both cars suspension completely. Both of my cars handle superbly and inspire confidence.

That's NOT your grandma's station wagon.

The power mods you are looking at, I can't comment on. It's lots of work. Anything can be done with the right amount of effort. If I were you, I would concentrate on making your car feel faster with better handling and braking.

You really should do that before you lay down more power anyway.

Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
I applaud the changes you've made already.

2 ways to proceed if you want a 'significant' power increase; swap from a turbo Subaru or a supercharger.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which springs did you go with TD?

Will the 251 handle anything north of 5psi? Those free floating jugs don't exactly inspire confidence.
I'll do a search on the super option- are people using Prochargers? I assume a piggy is necessary because there seems to be ZERO options for that 03 ECU for tunes....

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Will the 251 handle anything north of 5psi? Those free floating jugs don't exactly inspire confidence.
I'll do a search on the super option- are people using Prochargers? I assume a piggy is necessary because there seems to be ZERO options for that 03 ECU for tunes....
XRT Tuning can tune an '03 with a SC...When I started working with Ed he was tuning a Gen2 3.0 with a Raptor SC.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/153114-gen-2-xrt-tuning-5.html

and XRT can help with bugs along the way....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...agnostic-troubleshooting-support-service.html

And Ed will keep your car safe.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Which springs did you go with TD?
One car has BC BR coilovers. They fit 2000-2009. They have an actual outback fitment and They can actually lift a car over OB height a touch. They can adjust down to just under legacy height.

The other car has King Springs and Koni adjustable inserts (up front) Gen2 KYB and King Springs in the rear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh man!
I'm down in BCS, so Flower Mound is a bit of a venture away!

Looks like wiring will be quite the deal...
I'll have to try and find out if the processor is Denso or not it looks like. Where does the ECM mount on these again...?
I get to go pick the old girl up from the dealership this evening. Takata recall and whatnot.

I'll have to look into those options, thanks man! Not sure if I want to jump on coilovers or not haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts