Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are getting a 03 legacy outback and there are some problems. the dash lights don't work at all an neither does the radio. my dad believes its a fuse issue but i'm asking the Subaru experts to get more information.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,240 Posts
well we haven't bought the car yet but we are in a few days and my dad and i wanted to figure that stuff out before. but thank you for the manual.
Unless the seller is someone who would be incapable of fixing something simple (or paying a mechanic to do it) then I would be suspicious that the seller has dash lights and radio that don't work. If it's an elderly widow or something, then maybe not so suspicious.

If it's from a dealer, then definitely don't buy something broken.

You could look at the manual, buy the correct fuses, and before buying the car, see if the seller will let you check and replace any blown fuses to determine if that's all there is to it.

Sometimes a fuse looks fine but it's still not working, so you could bring a multimeter to check the dash light or radio fuses even if they look fine - or you can just put in new fuses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the seller is someone who would be incapable of fixing something simple (or paying a mechanic to do it) then I would be suspicious that the seller has dash lights and radio that don't work. If it's an elderly widow or something, then maybe not so suspicious.

If it's from a dealer, then definitely don't buy something broken.

You could look at the manual, buy the correct fuses, and before buying the car, see if the seller will let you check and replace any blown fuses to determine if that's all there is to it.

Sometimes a fuse looks fine but it's still not working, so you could bring a multimeter to check the dash light or radio fuses even if they look fine - or you can just put in new fuses.
thanks for the help. its my friends car and he is 17 and only really knows how to change oil and the spark plugs so he isn't selling me a dying car on purpose. there is also a abs light on and we have no clue what that could be either.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,240 Posts
thanks for the help. its my friends car and he is 17 and only really knows how to change oil and the spark plugs so he isn't selling me a dying car on purpose. there is also a abs light on and we have no clue what that could be either.
My advice would be to ask your friend if you can take it to a mechanic (at your expense) to check it out before making a commitment to buying it. Assuming your friend is selling the car cheap, consider it just the normal expense of buying a used car. The mechanic can check for a lot more things than might be noticed - for example, signs of a leaking head gasket, or other things that could be expensive.

Chances are that the car will need to have some work done anyways - brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, maybe transmission fluid, differential, wheel bearings.. unless your friend already had that kind of thing taken care of.

The car might also benefit from new shocks and struts.

If the car doesn't have any rust, it might be worth fixing everything wrong with it and might serve you for a long time. If the body has a lot of rust, then pouring money into fixing it might not be cost effective. If possible, find a mechanic that specializes in Subarus or works on a lot of subarus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has low rust and he changed all the fluids and things like that. and i was planning on rebuilding it and my other friend has some 2000 rs coil-overs.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,240 Posts
it has low rust and he changed all the fluids and things like that. and i was planning on rebuilding it and my other friend has some 2000 rs coil-overs.
Sounds good!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,916 Posts
The common fuse for the cluster and radio is #2 in the engine compartment fuse box.

Other fuses are 12, illumiation; 9 ACC fuse - both in the interior fuse box, and 6 for the Meter and SRS warning lights in the under hood box.

Ask about the timing belt schedule.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The common fuse for the cluster and radio is #2 in the engine compartment fuse box.

Other fuses are 12, illumiation; 9 ACC fuse - both in the interior fuse box, and 6 for the Meter and SRS warning lights in the under hood box.

Ask about the timing belt schedule.
we are planning on changing the timing belt very soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts