Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
still looking for an outback, does anyone know what to look for in the outback R, i know there is no timing belt, but is there a particular service/maintenance that the owner should have done at certain amount of k's?

Thanks

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Certainly nothing major, just keep up with the oil, the air cleaner, ignition & fuel injection systems. Nothing out of the ordinary there compared to anything else on the road.

The idler pulleys on the serp belt can give trouble, but it's cheap and easy. Not sure if there is an inspection keyed to any particular mileage but I wouldn't expect it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
Spark plugs can be a little tougher on the H6, but in general it doesn't need as much maintenance (no timing belt to mess with). Also remember that the H6 in those years needs premium fuel.

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great, thanks, so just to confirm there isn't anything in the H6 manual book that needs to be done at a certain millage? How would i know about the idler pulleys on the serp belt thing? Whats cheap in the states is usually double or triple times the price to fix here in Australia.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback MY04 H6 Auto
7 Posts
Hello

Hi all, I am new to this site. Just bought a 2004 Outback Tourer Wagon with Auto and H6 engine.
Pickup this week. Only has 123,000 kms. So are you saying you don't have to worry about timing chain/belt? Great stuff. I heard the spark plugs which are good for 100,000 kms are expensive and hard to put in. Thoughts?

Look forward to learning (and crying no doubt) about my Outback when I get her. Always had Holdens/Fords and the occasional Toyota Hilux/Surf over the years. New ground for me.
The wife has a 2006 Rav 4 we bought new which is a great car. I would say Japanese are the way to go....

:29:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Use the google search bar above and type "H6 spark plugs". Your plugs should be good to 150k km or so with good gasolines and proper maintenance. No interval for the chains or water pump. Thermostat when you do the plugs is a good idea, and use a Subaru stat. Keep the air filter, fluids clean and a good belt on the accessories and you'll be good. Make sure it stays full of oil to insure proper function of the AVCS. If the AC starts to blow warm, don't assume a compressor issue, look at the seals on the lines at the compressor and the service valves for leaks.

Enjoy the ride. Its a powerful car.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback MY04 H6 Auto
7 Posts
Thanks Cardoc. I have printed off the info you gave me.
Know where to get a service manual?
Also what are your opnions on towing? I have a Four Winns H180 bowrider. Weighs about 1400 kgs. (not sure on pounds etc)
Any advice for hot summers in Australia?

:29:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
If that's the trailer weight empty, I hope the trailer has brakes, otherwise, no go on tow.

Here is a repair manual site for engine breakdown that will give you an ideal of how the engine is put together: http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/011822-MSA5P0631C.pdf

As for a Service manual, this forum or google online to see if someone posted it. Maybe get with Subaru of Australia and see if they can send you an owner's manual with the service listings.

Simple: Fluids every 50k km is brake, ps, trans. Every 150k is coolant, t-stat and plugs. Rotate tires every 15k or every other oil change. Alignment every 75k, struts may be necessary at 100k to 150k (and an alignment after replacement). Keep clean oil in it, proper alignment and tires, check the brakes at any sign of issue and keep up with steering and suspension wear and it'll go many miles.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,113 Posts
In the past cardoc has suggested a supplemental transmission cooler for hot weather/towing. Might be worth considering if you go ahead with towing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts