Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was recently at the local Subaru only garage and was asking if they could supply oil for an 04 OB 5MT/differential oil change. They can. The car has 260,000 miles and to my knowledge, the oil has never been changed. They said some would say not to change it on a vehilce with that kind of mileage and never been changed. I haven't pulled the dip stick as I just found out a little bit ago there is one. :(

Any thoughts? Change it :29: or not :28:?

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Fun part is you (or they) get to fill the trans/diff back up through the dip stick hole!

I would say change it, just a simple drain and fill. See what kinda oil they're going to put in there, I would not go synthetic. If you can get it, or they have it, go with Subaru's Extra-S gear oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have heard how fun that is! The oil they have is a synthetic, but I don't remember which oil it is. They will sell me off their bulk container though. I have not gone to the local dealer yet. I will ask about the Extra-S to find out if the dealer will supply it and how much it will cost.

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Do a little reading (if you haven't already) on synthetic gear oils and this 5MT... Stuff like Mobile1 doesn't play so nicely. I'm using Redline 75w90NS and it's OK, but from what a gather few full syn oils work well and with that many miles I would be a bit cautious.

Maybe just a decent conventional or the Extra-S. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more advice!

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Oh, and if you're really interested - there are a ton of threads on nasioc.com on gear oils. :)

And while we're on the subject, has the rear diff oil been changed? For that you can use anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nickb21,

I have read and searched until I am confused about which oil to use. Yep, rear end will be done at the same time.

I just thought it was odd that the mechanic would say to think about not changing it because it had not been changed in at least 220,000 miles.

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Bump for ya.

No idea why he we suggest not to replace it...

I believe the manual calls for GL-5 (?), but check. Synthetic does stay a bit more viscous in extreme low temps, if that is a consideration. Like you found out though, there is no 'one' definite answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts