Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m aware of needing at least one O2 sensor somewhere, could that be a reason for my stalling out issue, or is that just an idle adjust problem?

If I’m in park I can sit and idle just fine, but if while I’m in park I give the car a good rev, the rpms will go down as I let off the gas and it’ll stall right out. I don’t stall out while driving at any speeds. Other than that, she’s ticking (like a well managed clock) pretty good.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
front o2 sensor usually makes for minor misfires and a bunch of codes. (particularly under load, not so much at idle).

what is the health of the fuel pump oring:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

this one eventually evolved into a tps code, including rom-raider logs:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...e/462009-2004-h6-ez30-stalled-stop-light.html

if you pull the idle air control valve apart to inspect or clean, make sure you have a gasket in hand as the old one may not get back together for a seal. (its a square one, $5 aftermarket or OEM).

___

dumping a regular can of $7 seafoam on a whole load of 93 octane will clean up any water and hopefully any varnishy junk from bad gas.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
front o2 sensor usually makes for minor misfires and a bunch of codes. (particularly under load, not so much at idle).

what is the health of the fuel pump oring:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

this one eventually evolved into a tps code, including rom-raider logs:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...e/462009-2004-h6-ez30-stalled-stop-light.html

if you pull the idle air control valve apart to inspect or clean, make sure you have a gasket in hand as the old one may not get back together for a seal. (its a square one, $5 aftermarket or OEM).

___

dumping a regular can of $7 seafoam on a whole load of 93 octane will clean up any water and hopefully any varnishy junk from bad gas.
Hey that’s a darn good reply. Idle air control valve? I’ll find it and look at it for sure. I get a lot of moisture in my garage, it’s ridiculous. I had to sand rust off sockets a week ago. If I don’t coat with WD40 my tools rust. I’ll assume the fuel pump is good. If not I’ve got another one on stand by. I’ll try the other stuff and the fuel pump last. I have to get some time to play around with the O2 sensors. I’ve got em laying around. Thanks for the reply here. Idle air control valve, I’ll look into that. Thanks. I’ve got extra fuel pump caps too.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Hey that’s a darn good reply. Idle air control valve? I’ll find it and look at it for sure. I get a lot of moisture in my garage, it’s ridiculous. I had to sand rust off sockets a week ago. If I don’t coat with WD40 my tools rust. I’ll assume the fuel pump is good. If not I’ve got another one on stand by. I’ll try the other stuff and the fuel pump last. I have to get some time to play around with the O2 sensors. I’ve got em laying around. Thanks for the reply here. Idle air control valve, I’ll look into that. Thanks.
and that is one dangerous part, makes the car conk out in the middle of the road, and you are lucky if it stays running enough to limp to the side in gear or neutral. (hopefully before you are smashed by a bus/ truck/ minivan).

its expensive too, might be worth trying a used one off a 2001-2004 H6 at the pick and pull or on a part out here.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed

Took the idle air control valve off. @eagleeye right you were about the gasket, it expands and is then impossible to put back in, so i'll be ordering a new one. The throttle body had some gum on the edge of it, I scrapped a little gunk out of the IACV as well then slapped it together quick, without the gasket, and behold, no more stalling out. Fixed.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed

and that is one dangerous part, makes the car conk out in the middle of the road, and you are lucky if it stays running enough to limp to the side in gear or neutral. (hopefully before you are smashed by a bus/ truck/ minivan).

its expensive too, might be worth trying a used one off a 2001-2004 H6 at the pick and pull or on a part out here.
I found the IACV sensor from the 2001 VDC. Changed it out on my 04, so the Stalling issue that came back, after I thought I had it fixed after spraying out the old IACV, has been resolved by changing out the sensor. Hallelujah.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
glad you got a fix,....(that old rust bucket VDC from vermont still giving its parts).

Reactions: Lverano
1 - 8 of 8 Posts