Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
08 WRX / 06 C230 / Soon OBXT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here. Not new to Subies, just new to Outbacks. I currently own an 08 WRX which I take in the dirt and race at local Rally X events and what not.

Just sold my Tahoe because I was sick of the thing breaking down. 2nd transmission in 15,000 miles. So I need to replace that with another car that has room for my family for camping trips, road trips or just to lug a few things around. I have done a bit of research, but I was still hoping for a little more insight. I do have a road trip from California to colorado with the family coming up this summer and would like to take what ever car I decide to buy

I have two options that look okay and everything seems mechanically sound...right now. Above all, I am looking for reliability, being somewhat fun to drive wouldn't hurt either. It has to be automatic so my wife can drive it too.

Option 1: 04 Outback LL Bean with the H6 148,xxx miles.
Option 2: 05 OBXT with 139,xxx miles.

Possible Option 3, but still need to look at it. 04 Bean with 107,XXX miles
(If this guy hasn't sold it yet, I am kind of leaning towards this but haven't heard back from him in a few days.)

The OBXT has nicer curves, probably more fun to drive, but from everything I read, probably not the most reliable. But I do like the look of it a lot. My gut tells me to stick with the 04 though, since it will be more reliable even with slightly higher miles.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
Remove the filter in the banjo bolt, change the oil often. Drive the crap out of it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
both, great choices.

with reliability being key, family, road trips, wife driving....i'd lean towards the simpler H6.

i'll add to OBXT comment - be nice to know it has always had synthetic changes if they have records. and be sure to yourself if you get it.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Not sure I'd characterize the XT as less reliable, but the regular upkeep is significantly more expensive. That sometimes means the same thing to folks who can't save up a reserve.

In your shoes I'd get the '04.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
...The OBXT has nicer curves...
WHAT? You're looking at cars with six figures on the odometer and thinking about their shape?? Really?

The wear and tear on the H6, at this mileage, will probably be a better investment, regardless of those "curves." HPH

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
WHAT? You're looking at cars with six figures on the odometer and thinking about their shape?? Really?
i don't see it - people choose what they want. why does someone with a 0 mile purchase get to choose what they like the looks of but not someone buying a 100,000 mile car?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
which one does SHE like?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
I miss the power of my 2.5XT. My 3.6 feels gutless compared to it.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts

The wear and tear on the H6, at this mileage, will probably be a better investment, regardless of those "curves." HPH
You can't get those curves new anymore, and the new ones are nowhere near as pretty. The nicest thing they offer is lower numbers on the odo, and that won't last long. And it comes at such a high cost!

Used cars open up so much freedom vs. new cars. So many people are terrified of the idea of personalizing their cars or accepting the unique signs of age. I think it's the best way to get the car you really want. You're not boxed in by the depressingly short package-driven menu of factory options. You don't have to watch the entire budget disappear in one shot at the time of purchase. You get the second-mover advantage, the option to learn from previous owners' mistakes. Never mind that you've let somebody else cover the most expensive end of depreciation and if you pick wisely you can get a car that will last you a long time even starting at 100k+.

So if you want those curves, go for it.

As much as I love my XT, I still recommend the older H6 to the OP on the basis of lower operating & forward maintenance costs. That's a big deal when starting a family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the obxt looks a lot better and i dont see why just because i am picking up a used car, I can't enjoy that aspect of it.

Doing the standard maintainence isn't an issue, as is I buy my fluids in bulk and have plenty of time under the hood of my 08 wrx.

I would like a lower mileage car but haven't had much luck finding any.

Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
426 Posts
You can't get those curves new anymore, and the new ones are nowhere near as pretty. The nicest thing they offer is lower numbers on the odo, and that won't last long. And it comes at such a high cost!

Used cars open up so much freedom vs. new cars. So many people are terrified of the idea of personalizing their cars or accepting the unique signs of age. I think it's the best way to get the car you really want. You're not boxed in by the depressingly short package-driven menu of factory options. You don't have to watch the entire budget disappear in one shot at the time of purchase. You get the second-mover advantage, the option to learn from previous owners' mistakes. Never mind that you've let somebody else cover the most expensive end of depreciation and if you pick wisely you can get a car that will last you a long time even starting at 100k+.

So if you want those curves, go for it.

As much as I love my XT, I still recommend the older H6 to the OP on the basis of lower operating & forward maintenance costs. That's a big deal when starting a family.
I have to agree with you about the nice curves. I still think the 3rd generation Outbacks were the last good years for these cars.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
I just sold my 05 XT. It had 80,000 miles on it :)

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I have to agree with you about the nice curves. I still think the 3rd generation Outbacks were the last good years for these cars.
It's getting deeper into semantics, but I really don't think the 3rd gen Outback can be properly compared to the 4th. They really are different cars, but the marketing folks named them the same. Ford did that with their Taurus in recent years as well.

I sure don't mean to diminish the 4th generation Outback- it's a wonderful car and the sales numbers have proven it over and over. It's just so different from its immediate predecessor that it doesn't seem right to give it the same name.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
you owned an WRX and race it... and you couldn;t decide on XT or h6? come on....get the XT....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still own the wrx and still race it which is why i am having issues making the decision. I want the XT, butte reliability of the H6 would be nice to have. I found an XT with 70K miles which i am going to check out soon. But i also saw an 01 vdc with 119k miles but in great condition for cheap. So i am still undecided.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would have choose the H6 over my 05 OBXT at the time. Think they get the same power an all. Seem a lot more reliable. I put way too much money into my 05 to ever get rid of it now. All maintance done including turbo, clutch, coil springs and struts. Pretty much a new car. Got a 114k on it and it " should " go another 100k problem free. Who am I kidding lol...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts