Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm back again, with a new-ish issue. My power steering has been gone for a while, after thinking I blew a hose (power steering fluid was leaking, was in the middle of a turn when it started shooting all over the engine bay making a ton of smoke - fun times).

finally got around to poking about and inspecting everything, only to find the lines intact, but the little wire thing (?) in the rear had popped out of the housing (will try and post a pic or 2 to help show what I'm talking about). doesn anyone know if this is something I can repair, or do I need to purchase a replacement pump?

to help clarify: pump blew, have been driving w/o power steering for a bit. trying to fix, asking to see if repairable or need to replace completely.

https://imgur.com/a/JkkxW

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
if you need one.
pricey bugger there if new... 34430AE0839L = $550 :frown2:

if looking for used such part # traces to: a 2001-2004 H6 car or a

2002 or 2003 H4 legacy or legacy outback.

@1 Lucky Texan @idosubaru @Glennda5id might have some advice with such on 6 cylinder ones.

Reactions: dmax78

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
unsure, i've never heard of that happening.

get a used one, they're everywhere.

i can ship you a known good used one for $50. PM or email me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I don't have enough posts to be able to PM, so I'll reply here for now.

unsure, i've never heard of that happening.

get a used one, they're everywhere.

i can ship you a known good used one for $50. PM or email me.
Hey, so things have finally calmed down enough that I can try and get a hold of this.

Do you still have the power steering pump I could get off of you? I know you said 50$, but I need to know how much the shipping and everything would be to zip code 81504.

Since mine has been running for about a year now with no fluid it's starting to squeak like metal on metal, and I'm hoping to get this before it binds up and eats the serpentine belt.

Thanks again for your time on this.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
might want to check the fluid when it drains and make sure there isn't metallic swirl in it from the pump wearing and failing internally.

yes i've still got it. $60 shipped. give me your email for contact.

Do you still have the power steering pump I could get off of you? I know you said 50$, but I need to know how much the shipping and everything would be to zip code 81504.

Since mine has been running for about a year now with no fluid it's starting to squeak like metal on metal, and I'm hoping to get this before it binds up and eats the serpentine belt.

Thanks again for your time on this.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
might want to check the fluid when it drains and make sure there isn't metallic swirl in it from the pump wearing and failing internally.

you have to pm him your email.

I don't think he can pm back until he gets 15 posts.

·
Registered
12 Posts

awesome! my email is (deleted) . I'll hit the 15 mark eventually lol.

and i'm sure i'll end up with some spam out of this, but for the pump it'll be worth it. and i'll just edit it out later =)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
awesome! my email is deleted. I'll hit the 15 mark eventually lol.

and i'm sure i'll end up with some spam out of this, but for the pump it'll be worth it. and i'll just edit it out later =)
i emailed (and PMed same time as my previous reply), you can edit now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got your email, yay! I'll get that sent to you asap, just have to get home first. Pump locked up and car won't run without removing the belt. Anyone happen to know what length of belt I could get to put on so that it would just bypass the ps pump? I don't know if it's even doable, but would probably be better than trying to drive it home without that and draining the battery.

::edit::
okay, so after some fooling around at the parts store, it looks like a 29 inch belt is pretty **** close to making it from the harmonic balancer to the alternator, straight shot bypassing everything else. unfortunately they didn't have it, so I had to opt for a longer one (38.7" i believe) in order to go around the ac motor as well. it squeals a bit, but it does the job for now. I should be able to make it a little while while I wait for the pump to come in. fun times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts