Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Reworking a big flaw: RESULTS

10/7/2018 I spent my Saturday addressing a huge flaw in my body work job. If you refer to any of the photos I uploaded before this post, you can see where the rear door closes and the trim meets the body work was very uneven swooping down about a 1/4 inch or so. I'll upload a photo showing the big dipper. It'll be the last photo before the original rust photo.

I uploaded an original photo for you all to see what I was working with when I started this. I had to reshape and rebuild a big part of the missing metal with the Evercoat fiberglass reinforced body filler and fiberglass cloth, and it is very awkward material like myself.

The big dipper was bothering me, plus someone had pointed it out while checking out my work, and had a good chuckle about it, so I decided to address the little disaster.

The problem is the dip was approximately a 1/4 inch from being level, so I had to build it up with the Everglass to make it like you see it now. Although it's still far from perfect, it's less noticeable than before. While I was in there I chose to fill in the two holes I drilled meant to mount the trim piece you see pushed aside in one of the photos. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm going to try another way of keeping that piece held into place without drilling any holes. It stays in place good enough for now being connected only by the bottom to the rocker trim piece.

I could still do more Everglass building and sanding to get that small trim piece to fit right and look like the other side, but frankly I'm tired of messing with it. It's good enough and you can't see the problem when the door is shut.

I don't want to drill any more holes because what happened before was when the drill bit cut through the fiberglass and hit metal, it shifted the bit causing me to gouge out a chunk of the fiberglass. It looked like crap and the holes didn't really hold the trim fasteners in place that good anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Problem solved with trim piece

Sometimes Home Depot has the answer! I didn't want to drill holes in my fiberglass filler, which wouldn't of served as a good anchor point for my trim piece anyway, but look here at what I found in the drawer at Home Depot. I drilled one little hole, not all the way through, so the tip of the anchor clip could seat, and presto it's fixed.

As for the overall job, I could do more sanding and probably another coat of final stage body filler, more priming and more sanding, but I think I'm done with it. I know I keep saying that, but I don't think I'm going to do all that just so I can paint it. It's satisfying to see it like it is for me. Others would condemn the idea of leaving their car in this state, but I'm fine with it. It'll never rust.

I do foresee painting my hood with rattle cans somewhere in the future for sure though. That'll be a new thread. I've been doing a lot of research on getting a professional look out of rattle cans, and it's totally possible. There is astounding proof of it all over YouTube.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,752 Posts
I do foresee painting my hood with rattle cans somewhere in the future for sure though. That'll be a new thread. I've been doing a lot of research on getting a professional look out of rattle cans, and it's totally possible. There is astounding proof of it all over YouTube.
I'm a Month Late, but Congrats on Getting this Ready For Winter....and Within Budget !!!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,268 Posts
With the amount of rock chips, failing clearcoat, and scratches I am pondering rattle canning Mal. Just trying to decide on what red...OEM paint is too expensive at $25 per spraycan to make a full vehicle repaint cost effective DIY.

Probably just go for whatever darker red I can find from Rustoleum and a quality 2K clear.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,752 Posts
With the amount of rock chips, failing clearcoat, and scratches I am pondering rattle canning Mal. Just trying to decide on what red...OEM paint is too expensive at $25 per spraycan to make a full vehicle repaint cost effective DIY.

Probably just go for whatever darker red I can find from Rustoleum and a quality 2K clear.
it will look like H3LL. metalics are expensive too.

the problem. = metalics that are 15 plus years old are not "popping" anymore. if you pull back some carpeting or interior / exterior trim you will see what the car use to be. so a custom can will need to be custom matched and blended

the nice thing about @Lverano 's black bean,...its "black granite pearl" = pearl as in easy to paint / blend / cheap.
I would think any old black gloss will fit the bill ....before and after a charm city garbage truck gouges his fresh tiger glass job.

·
12,268 Posts
it will look like H3LL. metalics are expensive too.

the problem. = metalics that are 15 plus years old are not "popping" anymore. if you pull back some carpeting or interior / exterior trim you will see what the car use to be. so a custom can will need to be custom matched and blended

the nice thing about @Lverano 's black bean,...its "black granite pearl" = pearl as in easy to paint / blend / cheap.
I would think any old black gloss will fit the bill ....before and after a charm city garbage truck gouges his fresh tiger glass job.
It'll look better than now. And what you said is EXACTLY why I'm not going with factory color paint. Just not cost effective when redoing the entire vehicle.

Close enough is good enough.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
@AWDFTW
I can't imagine your entire Subaru is so awful you gotta repaint the whole thing. I guess if it's your taste to have everything perfectly matched, then I can understand.

There is a guy on youtube who did a how to video of himself rattle can spraying his chopper tank black. I have literally watched the entire two part series two times and took notes. When I get around to paining the hood on my car, I'm going to mock him exactly. I don't care if it doesn't match the rest of the car, as long as it looks like a good job. Anything is better than rust and fade. I'm still proud of my Subaru either way, even with the large flat black primer rear section painted over after all the body work.

You could repaint it orange, that'd be cool. I always loved those orange subabru's I see once in a while. They seem most rare. I'd love to own an orange one.

·
12,268 Posts
I can't imagine your entire Subaru is so awful you gotta repaint the whole thing. I guess if it's your taste to have everything perfectly matched, then I can understand.
Near as I can tell, the original owner rarely to never washed or waxed it and lived on a gravel road. There are spots on the hood with bird droppings that etched all the way down to bare metal. Hood clearcoat is getting cloudy, roof and side mirror clearcoat is already failed and flaking off. There isn't a panel that isn't scratched to the metal here and there.

Soooo, planning on lots of finishing putty, sanding, high fill primer, some red similar to factory color, and 2k clear.

Goal is $150ish to do the metal. Don't care much about the body cladding, that'll stay as is.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,479 Posts
Near as I can tell, the original owner rarely to never washed or waxed it and lived on a gravel road. There are spots on the hood with bird droppings that etched all the way down to bare metal. Hood clearcoat is getting cloudy, roof and side mirror clearcoat is already failed and flaking off. There isn't a panel that isn't scratched to the metal here and there.

Soooo, planning on lots of finishing putty, sanding, high fill primer, some red similar to factory color, and 2k clear.

Goal is $150ish to do the metal. Don't care much about the body cladding, that'll stay as is.
Black or bed line the body cladding.

I did it on my Gen 2 and loved how it got rid of the fat girl in a prom dress look.

Actually, I think sand blasting it off and just having a bare plastic would look great too. Be super functional.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto Transmission, 270k+
260 Posts
Black or bed line the body cladding.

I did it on my Gen 2 and loved how it got to of the fat girl in a prom dress look.

Actually, I think sand blasting it off and just having a bare plastic would look great too. Be super functional.
Pictures? That sounds pretty cool.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,752 Posts
@AWDFTW

There is a guy on youtube who did a how to video of himself rattle can spraying his chopper tank black. I have literally watched the entire two part series two times and took notes. When I get around to paining the hood on my car, I'm going to mock him exactly. I don't care if it doesn't match the rest of the car, as long as it looks like a good job. Anything is better than rust and fade. I'm still proud of my Subaru either way, even with the large flat black primer rear section painted over after all the body work.

You could repaint it orange, that'd be cool. I always loved those orange subabru's I see once in a while. They seem most rare. I'd love to own an orange one.
problem with hoods is its so big and flat vs. a rattle can. I would drive this one by the pick and pulls and keep looking, maybe you come up with a black hood that looks nicer then the one you got.

and road cone Orange,...= the color of crosstreks. ....nice for the big trucks to see and avoid.
_____
@AWDFTW. maybe you Maaco / Earl Scheib it,
doing your own prep work so they don't screw it up ...if not I would think you will be removing paint from the windshield and body cladding where they masked off poorly.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
problem with hoods is its so big and flat vs. a rattle can. I would drive this one by the pick and pulls and keep looking, maybe you come up with a black hood that looks nicer then the one you got.

and road cone Orange,...= the color of crosstreks. ....nice for the big trucks to see and avoid.
_

@AWDFTW. maybe you Maaco / Earl Scheib it,
doing your own prep work so they don't screw it up ...if not I would think you will be removing paint from the windshield and body cladding where they masked off poorly.
So I think a long while ago some A hole kicked my repair job or maybe backed into me.... It could also be the metal took a warp when the body filler hardened up? Please don't mind the dent, it's just part of the natural beauty of doing it yourself.
Today I addressed some rust seeping through in some spots where there was just metal and no body filler. Mostly around the curved part of the dog leg where the rust usually starts, and down by the rocker. The integrity of the metal was fine with it just being minor surface rust.
I recommend this paint I'm holding here in my hand in the pic. The other primer I had on there was allowing moisture to get down to the metal, and I was getting rust spots. I think this Rust Reformer is the proper answer if you just want to leave a repair job a flat color like my flat black paint job here. I know the sanding job I did is terrible, but I had to address some minor cracking, which led me to applying some body filler again. It was a down and dirty after work one night, and I almost never feel like sanding to perfection.

It's an old Subaru, and it's not going to win any beauty contests without a full paint job, which I'll Never pay for on car this old. It's still beautiful in my eyes. Anyway, here are a couple pics of how she's been holding up since the major repair work over 2 years ago! Thank you for all the attention to this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

Did you ever do this? If you did I would love to see some pics on how it came out.

I'm no longer contemplating spray painting my hood. I just don't have the time. I might be better off if I found a black hood in the junk yard in good shape. In the end it might be the same amount of money after buying all the materials and time spent trying to do my hood with rattle cans..

·
12,268 Posts
Nope, got sidetracked by more pressing house related projects. Still have the flaking off clearcoat but not the time to deal with it.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts