Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving through the local Chevy dealer with a buddy today. He has been looking at Outbacks. Last year about this time he found an H6 LL Bean. In a really nice color combination.

Anyway he passed because the paint job was rough and some other things. So we ran across this one today.

2004 Subaru Legacy Wagon for sale in Kalamazoo - 4S3BH806947612179 - DeNooyer Chevrolet
163000 Miles
Dual moon roofs
All LL Bean Options

KBB is 6500 they are asking 7000.
It's not quite excellent condition.

So my questions:
What are things to look out for on the H6?
Do they have a timing belt or timing chain?
Is the mileage an issue on this one?
Would 6k out the door be an ok price?

·
Registered
(oldR.I.P) 99 outback, auto, 98k | (new) 98 outback, mt, 76k
30 Posts
With all records and a clean carfax that seems like a reasonably decent price. Subaru's seem to vary with price range around the US. I've noticed being on my 2nd used outback, southern california - orange county in particular. People try to get top dollar for their subaru's no matter the case. Out here I wouldn't go higher than KBB , any higher and thats down right idiotic IMO. Check your local craigslist and see how other subaru's are being priced. If serious, do an extensive test drive. Check for any oil leaks, (if they haven't cleaned the engine) , check and make sure all cv boots are intact. Also since its a dealership, find out if they are adding a ltd. warranty and if that's the reason for charging 500 $ above KBB.

and to add about the h6, it ran by a timing chain. They seem to be pretty bulletproof as well. My friends dad has an 03 h6 with 340,000 miles on original motor. She has been through 2 transmissions unfortunately

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,550 Posts
maybe someone can recommend a shop in Western Michigan where you could take it for a pre-purchase inspection. Use any minor problems to negotiate. If the car has mismatched tires, that might be a showstopper. basically, an experienced mechanic can check for torque bind, valve cover or other oil leaks, split axle boots, bad serpentine belt pulleys, etc.

the known ,common, problems with the H6s are fairly easy to deal with - but past treatment and current condition on ANY used car mean more than that car's reliability when new. This PARTICULAR Subaru could be worse than a 2004 Fiat.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy and I are pretty mechanically inclined, and do most of the inspection ourselves when looking at cars. The first thing I checked were tires. All four match, and the tread looks close to the same depth(didn't have anything to measure with). But he knows the 2.5l is known for gaskets(he also knows those aren't horrible issues over the long run), and the timing belt needs replaced, I didn't believe either of those to be problems on the 3l.

We discovered the dealer also has it listed on CL for $6400, which brings it down closer to the price he wants to pay.
We didn't get a very good look at it yesterday, as it was getting dark and had been raining. So we plan on going back today, to get a better look. I'm almost interested, but its got 40k more miles than my car, in 5 less years, and costs about $1500 more than I paid for mine. I got such a good deal its hard toeven entertain the thought of getting rid of it. Even though the extra power while towing would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts