Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 OB Wagon 2.5L
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked up the part number for a reman front axle for my wife's '04 OB sport Auto trans, and got SOA966H1100R1, so I ordered it. It came in the mail and looks different than what is currently in the car. The original is the picture still in the car and the reman in in my hand. I have checked with the local Subaru dealer and another Subaru parts site using the VIN number and they all gave me the same part number? Did they change the design? I do not see a spring pin on the original green one. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
The new reman axle looks to be an A1-Cardone. If you look closer to the axle on the car, you will see the drift pin. You may have to turn it a bit.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,109 Posts
many people re-boot the old Subaru axles as they have a reputation for being better than any replacement. Don't just toss your old axle.

·
Registered
2002 OB Wagon 2.5L
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The replacement is a genuine Subaru reman axle, will it work on the car?

·
Premium Member
18,109 Posts
supposedly Subaru gets the 'best' re-man'd axles from cardone - so I've read anyway.

it's a fair gamble, I'd hope that it will be OK but, many people report problems with remanufactured axles; leaking boots or vibration. Likely many folks have used them and just don't get on the internet to report satisfaction. but they WILL complain if it's bad!

But a Subaru axle that hasn't been exposed to too much grit, road salt or water thru its split boot, can be cleaned, re-lubed and re-booted and will almost always be better than an axle that has lost its case hardened surface by grinding/machining and had cheap oversized ball-bearings thrown in it.

I think starting in 05 or 06, Subaru went away from the axle stubs held in with roll pins so, as cardoc mentioned, if you keep looking your 04 should have a roll pin. Search for axle installation info. Very common repair.

·
Registered
2002 OB Wagon 2.5L
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read elsewhere on this site that rebooting an axle is a huge pain in the donkey and requires specialty tools and crazy solvents. I have put these Subaru reman axles on my 02 OB, right and left side, and not had any issues.
Though the end looks different the reman axle will fit?

·
Premium Member
18,109 Posts
yeah, after reviewing, and looking here; http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_19/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/

I think there's a chance you have the wrong axles.

Hopefully, someone can confirm, also, you might try calling your VIN number , in to the dealer AND give them the build date from the door plate, to confirm which style axle you need, the 'female' with the roll pin that goes over a stub axle, or the 'male' style that clicks into the diff.

·
Registered
2002 OB Wagon 2.5L
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, after reviewing, and looking here; http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_19/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/

I think there's a chance you have the wrong axles.

Hopefully, someone can confirm, also, you might try calling your VIN number , in to the dealer AND give them the build date from the door plate, to confirm which style axle you need, the 'female' with the roll pin that goes over a stub axle, or the 'male' style that clicks into the diff.
SubaruParts triple checked the computer with the VIN and kept getting the same part number, they called Subaru and said they "didn't like their answer" and asked for the transmission number. They will call Subaru on Monday.

·
Premium Member
18,109 Posts
build date before 09/2003 = 'female' roll-pin type front axle

build date after 09/2003 = 'male' circlip type front axle

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
Just got a NAPA reman for my '00...Looks to be a Subie rebuild. $53. Have a *New* Cardone in my '01. No problems after 20K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts