Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just completed an engine swap on my 2004 outback. I put a jdm ej25 block to replace my us original. I used the intake and wiring from mine and put it on the jdm bc the wiring was all butchered on the jdm. The short of it; starter cranks, engine doesn’t start. Does anyone have any advice? Is it a problem putting an American intake on the jdm block?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,199 Posts
There should be no problem using the US intake.

You mention a JDM block, did that include the heads and timing belt etc? There are some differences in the sensors (camshaft, crankshaft etc sensors) between models which sometimes requires you to use the original camshaft sprockets on the replacement engine.

Do you know what year model the JDM engine is from and whether it was from an auto or manual retransmission vehicle? This will help us give you further advice.

Seagrass

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,976 Posts
Is your car a EJ259 or a EJ251 equipped US spec 2004. (read the plate on the shock tower in front of the driver).

EJ259 was the single year clean air state sold edition. (half a step towards a Ej253,....)

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
600 Posts
Crank and LH Cam sprockets. These have tone wheels for the crank and cam sensors, and there are 2 different tooth configurations. I never figured out the pattern as to which one is which, but it sure seems to be wrong a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. The cam and sprockets seem to be at the core of not starting. Never would have even thought they would be different. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all

Just completed an engine swap on my 2004 outback. I put a jdm ej25 block to replace my us original. I used the intake and wiring from mine and put it on the jdm bc the wiring was all butchered on the jdm. The short of it; starter cranks, engine doesn’t start. Does anyone have any advice? Is it a problem putting an American intake on the jdm block?
There should be no problem using the US intake.

You mention a JDM block, did that include the heads and timing belt etc? There are some differences in the sensors (camshaft, crankshaft etc sensors) between models which sometimes requires you to use the original camshaft sprockets on the replacement engine.

Do you know what year model the JDM engine is from and whether it was from an auto or manual retransmission vehicle? This will help us give you further advice.

Seagrass
Thanks! I called the shop where I got the engine and they think it’s this as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your car a EJ259 or a EJ251 equipped US spec 2004. (read the plate on the shock tower in front of the driver).

EJ259 was the single year clean air state sold edition. (half a step towards a Ej253,....)
Ok will check it. What is the main diff between the two when doing the swap?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all
I just finished swapping my ej25 to a jdm ej25, finally got it started and running good. Having trouble w the engine temp, it’ll jump past 2/3, temp gauge never would go past mid way prior to engine swap. I drove it on the freeway and locally to test, total drive time over an hr but never went too far fast 2/3 on the gauge. Any advice? I put my old thermostat from my old engine to see if it would do anything but same. Would the heat sensor affect this at all?
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all
I just finished swapping my ej25 to a jdm ej25, finally got it started and running good. Having trouble w the engine temp, it’ll jump past 2/3, temp gauge never would go past mid way prior to engine swap. I drove it on the freeway and locally to test, total drive time over an hr but never went too far fast 2/3 on the gauge. Any advice? I put my old thermostat from my old engine to see if it would do anything but same. Would the heat sensor affect this at all?
Thanks
Could do with more info. Have you bled the system because it will over heat if not done .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could do with more info. Have you bled the system because it will over heat if not done .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok
So today I changed out the thermostat even tho it was a year old just in case and the coolant is flowing much better.
It’s still overheating, I noticed the radiator fan is not clicking on (only turns on when a/c is on).
Is there a sensor for these fans? The relays for the main and sub fan seem to be fine.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
251 Posts
You might try swapping over your original water temp sensor to see if that changes your gauge issue. No suggestion on the fan issue....

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
908 Posts
The coolant temperature sensor goes to the computer which controls the temperature gauge and fans. The thermostat is an old fashioned bi-metallic spring driven valve so it either works on its own or doesn't. If the temp sensor is reading correctly, the computer should be controlling the fans at the right temperatures (depending also on the speed of the car). If you have an OBD2 reader or scanner, you can read the temp sensor real time and with "true" temps instead of the highly non-linear temperature gauge on the dashboard which compresses readings near the center mark.

On many cars, the temperature gauge movement is compressed around the mid mark so that the driver doesn't freak out as the temperature swings between 179F and 212F as the thermostat opens and closes and the fans go between off, low and high (all within normal operating temperatures). I haven't calibrated the OBD2 temperature numbers with the gauge needle readings on my Outback but may do so someday when I'm bored.

To the OP,
That sounds like the classic need for burping the cooling system. Use a Lisle spill free funnel attached and watch the OBD temp reading to make sure the thermostat actually opens and closes several cycles with the funnel attached. You can rev the engine to 2k RPM to help get the temperature up, but nothing heats the engine as fast as a good load which you can't do while sitting in your driveway with the hood up and the funnel attached, you just have to be patient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The coolant temperature sensor goes to the computer which controls the temperature gauge and fans. The thermostat is an old fashioned bi-metallic spring driven valve so it either works on its own or doesn't. If the temp sensor is reading correctly, the computer should be controlling the fans at the right temperatures (depending also on the speed of the car). If you have an OBD2 reader or scanner, you can read the temp sensor real time and with "true" temps instead of the highly non-linear temperature gauge on the dashboard which compresses readings near the center mark.

On many cars, the temperature gauge movement is compressed around the mid mark so that the driver doesn't freak out as the temperature swings between 179F and 212F as the thermostat opens and closes and the fans go between off, low and high (all within normal operating temperatures). I haven't calibrated the OBD2 temperature numbers with the gauge needle readings on my Outback but may do so someday when I'm bored.

To the OP,
That sounds like the classic need for burping the cooling system. Use a Lisle spill free funnel attached and watch the OBD temp reading to make sure the thermostat actually opens and closes several cycles with the funnel attached. You can rev the engine to 2k RPM to help get the temperature up, but nothing heats the engine as fast as a good load which you can't do while sitting in your driveway with the hood up and the funnel attached, you just have to be patient.
Thank you that’s very very helpful
I’m waiting for the sensor to come in, hopefully that takes care of the fan clicking on
If all fuses/relays good, sensor good, fan clicking on w a/c, then is there anything else that can possibly be wrong?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,976 Posts
Ok will check it. What is the main diff between the two when doing the swap?
did you ever get to read the build plate up by the windshield on the shock tower ?

EJ259 is unique and the ECU for the car is unique, and no JDM EJ25 anything should be a good match,....and may make for odd problems.

see the pictures I posted here.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,976 Posts
@Moondi

I merged threads, = one car, one thread is OK., and it keeps it all in one place for people to read back in time to see if there is more info on the present day problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered coolant temp sensor from Subaru, the one from Oreilleys was junk... worked like charm! Temp good, fans clicking on like they should!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts