Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from CT. I'm new to this community and a relatively new owner of a 2004 Outback wagon, 2.5L, H4, A/T. Fourth vehicle in the family and all different imports. I'd like to replace the radiator this weekend and am looking for instructions. Looks straight forward but I've never had a radiator with transmission cooling lines. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll be replacing the hoses, cap and thermostat as well. I checked the diy area and didn't see this specific topic covered.
Thanks for any input.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
radiators are really easy - remove 10mm bolts holding the reservoir in place, shrouds/fans via a couple 10mm bolts, remove cooling hoses, transmission fluid lines, and unbolt the radiator from the top. slides right out.

ATF lines are not usually in great shape and you'll need to replace the hose and clamps as they'll be rusty.

there's nothing to it, they are held in place at the top with 2 12mm bolts i think and the bottom just sits on pegs and pulls out easily. the rest is just removing ancillary things to get the radiator out - hoses, electrical connectors, fans.

the only tricky part is if the fan shroud bolts are rusty, they will round off rather quick around here in the northeast and be nearly immovable. make *certain* you start with a 6 point socket and not a 12. if it does strip, I generally just chisel away the plastic around the bolt and leave it, you can loose one bolt and still attach the fans just fine.

on some Subarus you can disconnect the electrical connector for the fans and remove the radiator with a fan still attached - i'm uncertain if you can do that on an 04 2.5L though I don't think you can. but might be worth trying if you have that rusted bolt issue.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
oh and radiatorbarn.com often has awesome prices shipped to your door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Any idea how much ATF I should expect to loose when I disconnect the transmission hoses?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Thanks for the input. Any idea how much ATF I should expect to loose when I disconnect the transmission hoses?
Unhook and tie up vertically after you remove and you should not loose much. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ordinarily I wouldn't say anything, but since three posters have used it incorrectly, the word is lose.
Loose = is not tight.

O.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
Osei and Jam_s160, funny. Maybe it was just a typo.

The radiator is a gravy job. But my suggestion is to remove the fans with the radiator. You can pinch the transmission hoses and not lose any from the lines and there's maybe a pint total loss if they aren't pinched off.

Once the trans hoses are removed, unplug the fans, remove the lower and upper hoses, remove the 10mm bolts from the upper radiator support brackets and pull it all out in one piece. The fans can be removed from the radiator after, a lot easier than trying to remove them with the radiator in. This is also the case with all the Japanese cars. The Japanese engineers think of things like this. Simplicity in repairs. I wish Ford would.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts